No announcement yet.

Bickering Continues About NVIDIA Using DMA-BUF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• isnt optimus just a crappy solution to the performance hit caused by compositing ?
    Actually it's a crappy solution for the "energy consumption" + "compute power and features" relationship of today's GPUs ...

Linux has an opportunity here to beat the other OSes to the punch and deliver on an actually sane API (as an EGL extension or a custom API in Wayland/GLX) that allows apps to indicate whether they'd prefer high-performance or low-power. Hell, it might even go so far as to add some OpenGL extensions to make having the context invalidated for a forced graphics switch to actually work. Which is better anyway for things like hibernate; much better to just wipe the context away and expect the app to reinitialize it after wakeup, especially for a game with potentially 1+GB of textures and buffers and whatnot for modern graphics/hardware.
    +1

We could even have profiles like cpufreq ... performance (discrete)/powersave(integrated)/ondemand(workload based? some cards have performance counters? dunno how reliable is that, but should be easy to pick one counter of any kind - temp included? - and customize ranges to switch profiles )

That would be SO AWESOME.

Regards.

Comment

• they aren't going to allow nvidia to do this so discussion is over.

and if the impossible happens and they do, I will remove all traces of linux from every machine I own and I will spit everytime I see the name linux mentioned.

Comment

• -SNIP-

EDIT: never mind, I take that back. I'm quite tired of going along with the arguement.
        Last edited by Sonadow; 22 October 2012, 10:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
          -SNIP-

EDIT: never mind, I take that back. I'm quite tired of going along with the arguement.
          I don't want this to get lost ... this says a lot about the kind of people that argues "fuck freedom, we want optimus", I'll leave it for educational purposes

Nothing new under the sun ...

Comment

• Steam is closed source software.
            The NVIDIA binary driver is closed source software.

Steam has some notorious security holes (http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Ste...ort,18498.html)
            The NVIDIA driver *may* have some security holes.

Steam is treated as the savior to gaming on Linux.
            NVIDIA is treaded as the devil to Linux.

Anyone else see the blatant hypocracy here? Why are so many going after the best driver on the entire OS, then proclaiming how great it is to finally get Steam?

Comment

• Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
              Steam is closed source software.

Steam has some notorious security holes (http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Ste...ort,18498.html)

Anyone else see the blatant hypocracy here? Why are so many going after the best driver on the entire OS, then proclaiming how great it is to finally get Steam?
              Steam and games run in userspace.
              NVIDIA blob runs in kernelspace.

Steam is on safe grounds concerning the licence. At least I don't know of any issue here
              NVIDIA is not.

Security holes are always bad, yes.

Comment

• Steam is AIDS and I won't be touching it.

owner of phoronix READ THIS:

what phoronix needs is one of those little pinguin / win7/ OS x icons like the fedora forums or ubuntu etc...

that way you know what system people are running when you reply to them.

that way you avoid wasting time replying to people like sonadow that are clearly 1.homosexual 2. running windows.

Comment

• Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
                  Steam is closed source software.

You're new here, right? Here, have a drink → http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTE1MTk
                  That's the only thing I'll add regarding that (I think we are grown enough to detect the cheap shot here)

Also the difference between userspace/kernel (where there are different perspectives not only about security, but also about the license) is way big (ex: kernel is GPL where stuff like glibc is LGPL'ed)

Regards.
                  Last edited by vertexSymphony; 22 October 2012, 04:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by asdx
                    Bullshit.

The real enemies are those who are against the GPL and Linux development, i.e. nvidia.

Not really they just aren't our friends, they can be worked around and ignored. Our enemies are those who would lock down API's for themselves and wield patents to monopolize markets.

Comment

• Originally posted by WorBlux View Post
                      Not really they just aren't our friends, they can be worked around and ignored. Our enemies are those who would lock down API's for themselves and wield patents to monopolize markets.
                      hmm yes they are maybe not enemies of freedom in full idiological sense, they are not standing there in their private live and say I hate linux I hate linux, I will destroy it (or replace linux with foss), but they do not value freedom and they do not care about it especialy the freedom of other persons, and they do in their live like steve jobs did stuff that enslaves people. So is ignorence an excuse? maybe but then there is practical NO enemy of "Linux" or FOSS. The enemys are the people who do bad things that hurts opensource and people in their freedom, the reason behind that if its "rational" money-greediness or if its poor hate doesnt matter much.

To the Steam vs Nvidia discussion.

The difference is that its more basic thing. as a nvidia User and there is not exaclty a very big choice of availible grafic card vendors, and even a bit as amd user, you nearly are forced to use the non-free drivers (less true for amd but strongly true about nvidia), but nobody is enforced to use steam not even remotly. And then its enother thing, if you would use steam, yes you are butchering partialy your freedom, but you dont bring the hole system in danger, so 1. I hope it will not modify the kernel, it will not even run as a root process. so it byself must hack your system to even get more privileges than your user. so you could at least limit its antifeature-possiblities. But thats not the most important stuff. like I said it will not patch xserver or kernel, so at least you can report bugs to that software instead of kernels with nvidia modules that are then not allowed naturaly for bug reports, because they cant fix stuff thats related to stuff where they dont have the soruce code.

And no I will not use it either. But its also a difference if a company sells software and therefor at least risk to not get the same amount of money if they release the sourcecode (but if you lisense artwork as nonfree content, you would also get your money but ok) and its only games you sell, that nobody really needs. or if you sell hardware, and give your customers not the controll over it, whats nearly a fraud. Laws should allow people to sue companys for such stuff. And thats then still less than rms wants and in the long run me too, that closedsource should be illigal. But again to sell hardware and bring it only to operation with blackbox-trojan-drivers should definitly be illigal soon.
                      Last edited by blackiwid; 23 October 2012, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X