Linux Developers Still Reject NVIDIA Using DMA-BUF

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    They can either choose to play the game according to the rule book, or they can fu*k off.
    What, from a business perspective, does the Linux desktop bring to the table?

I don't get the entitlement mentality of a group that amounts to less than 1% of the market.

Comment

Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
      WHAT A JOKE!!!

Your ethernet card has a PROCESSOR ON IT. It is running CLOSED SOURCE CODE. Your "open source" ethernet driver is talking to CLOSED SOURCE CODE. The part of that "closed source" code that talks to its bus controller is called a "driver".

Your disk controller has a PROCESSOR ON IT. It is running CLOSED SOURCE CODE.

Your sound card has a PROCESSOR ON IT. It is running CLOSED SOURCE CODE.

ALL of the "open source" drivers on your linux system are interacting with CLOSED SOURCE DRIVERS and VICE VERSA.

But SOMEHOW zealots can PUT THEIR HEAD IN THE SAND and PRETEND that their computers are "open".
      And you clearly don't understand anything at all about how hardware works and interacts with the kernel. Yes, there are closed crap running on *some* hardware (not all...), and absolutely NONE of your retarded accusations apply IN THE LEAST to my position.

How it has to work:
      (KERNEL -- DRIVER1 -)- HARDWARE1
      (KERNEL -- DRIVER2 -)- HARDWARE2

How nvidia thinks it should work:
      (KERNEL -- DRIVER1 -)- HARDWARE1
      (KERNEL -- NVIDIADRIVER -- NVIDIAHARDWARE)
      (KERNEL -- DRIVER1 -- NVIDIADRIVER -- HARDWARE1)
      (KERNEL -- DRIVER1 -- NVIDIADRIVER -- NVIDIAHARDWARE)

Think of the brackets as a security barrier.

In a properly segmented system, the interaction between the kernel and the hardware is determined by the driver for that hardware. A driver that is open to external audit and generally safe. What nvidia is offering, is to have THEIR CLOSED DANGEROUS driver and hardware DIRECTLY MANIPULATING the kernel itself.

The driver is part of the security that is protecting the kernel from the hardware. How do we know and trust that the nvidia driver doesn't do something horribly dangerous? In fact, we know from past observations that their driver has a TERRIBLE track record when it comes to security. You seriously advocating that we open up the kernel to EVEN MORE potential exploit from a known danger?

BTW: That closed source code running on those pieces of hardware you mention.... are not kernel drivers. They're just running on that hardware themselves. If they want to do something REALLY FREAKING STUPID, that's their business. Part of the driver's job, as I've mentioned, is to make sense of some of that stupid crap rather than allowing it to wreak havoc.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        What, from a business perspective, does the Linux desktop bring to the table?

I don't get the entitlement mentality of a group that amounts to less than 1% of the market.
        According to the ONLY entity that is actually in a position to count the Linux user base (that would be microsoft, strangely enough), the Linux user base is LARGER THAN APPLE, which is about 10%. So we are really looking at over 10% of the desktop/laptop market. And of course, that is ONLY counting the desktop/laptop market. There is more to it than that, since when you actually consider the rest of the market (tablets, phones, routers, televisions, refrigerators), Linux ***SIGNIFICANTLY*** outsells MS.

As far as entitlement goes, I AM entitled to control MY WORK. I AM entitled to choose where to spend MY MONEY. So yes, I AM entitled to tell nvidia to FU*K OFF, as is EVERY SINGLE INDIVIDUAL who has contributed to a part of the Linux Kernel related to this nvidia attack.

Now if the Linux desktop isn't big enough to be worth it for nvidia to play in by the rules, they are WELCOME to LEAVE. Play by the rules, or don't play at all. That isn't entitlement, its an ultimatum.
        Last edited by droidhacker; 10-11-2012, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          According to the ONLY entity that is actually in a position to count the Linux user base (that would be microsoft, strangely enough), the Linux user base is LARGER THAN APPLE, which is about 10%. So we are really looking at over 10% of the desktop/laptop market. And of course, that is ONLY counting the desktop/laptop market. There is more to it than that, since when you actually consider the rest of the market (tablets, phones, routers, televisions, refrigerators), Linux ***SIGNIFICANTLY*** outsells MS.

As far as entitlement goes, I AM entitled to control MY WORK. I AM entitled to choose where to spend MY MONEY. So yes, I AM entitled to tell nvidia to FU*K OFF, as is EVERY SINGLE INDIVIDUAL who has contributed to a part of the Linux Kernel related to this nvidia attack.

Now if the Linux desktop isn't big enough to be worth it for nvidia to play in by the rules, they are WELCOME to LEAVE. Play by the rules, or don't play at all. That isn't entitlement, its an ultimatum.
          Frankly, you sound like a 7-y/o crybaby.

Thankfully Linus isn't this ridiculous.

At the end of the day, it appears Optimus will remain a Windows-only feature for the immediate future. (Not sure if it's available under OS X.) Chalk up yet another thing in the long list of items that Windows does better than Linux.

Comment

What do you think, can we expect a comment of Torvalds on that matter?

Not sure what he would say. Isn't he more on the liberal side concerning the blobs?
            Last edited by entropy; 10-11-2012, 02:58 PM.

Comment

WAAAH WAAAH!!!! Linux won't give nvidia special treatment for being a bag of douche WAAAAAAAH!!!!
              How about this; instead of being stupid about it, TAKE IT UP WITH NVIDIA.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                What do you think, can we expect a comment of Torvalds on that matter?

Not sure what he would say. Isn't he more on the liberal side concerning the blobs?
                I think we can predict what his position will be;

Comment

At the end of the day, it appears Optimus will remain a Windows-only feature for the immediate future. (Not sure if it's available under OS X.) Chalk up yet another thing in the long list of items that Windows does better than Linux.
                  This is sad but true.

The good news is that most major players: Intel, Red Hat, AMD, etc. are working on a solution for this problem.

If I'm not mistaken, Nvidia's only contribution to this joint effort was to try to relicense other people's code. They don't want to take part, just use other people's work. That's what this article is about.

I bought a notebook yesterday. It had an option of having an Nvidia GPU (Optimus). I avoided it in a wide arc and went with Intel graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                    This is sad but true.

The good news is that most major players: Intel, Red Hat, AMD, etc. are working on a solution for this problem.

If I'm not mistaken, Nvidia's only contribution to this joint effort was to try to relicense other people's code. They don't want to take part, just use other people's work. That's what this article is about.

I bought a notebook yesterday. It had an option of having an Nvidia GPU (Optimus). I avoided it in a wide arc and went with Intel graphics.
                    When will we be able to see optimus support on other operating systems like Illumos, Solaris, FreeBSD, Haiku, Darwin, etcetera?

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                      No, it is not.
                      The change is done to make sure the Nvidia driver able to load their kernel module. This has nothing to do with "stealing other people's work".

Anyway, the news is too bad. For Linux users. The kernel devs are just doing bullshit this time.

Comment

Working...
                      X