Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Developers Still Reject NVIDIA Using DMA-BUF

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    Let that joker rant all he wants.

    Apparently he's so stuck in his little fantasy world of 'just enough' that he doesn not even know what the REAL gamers and enthusiasts over in Windows land are doing.

    Y'know, the real fun things like water cooling, vBIOS moding/flashing, GPU core overclocking, CPU overclocking, memory clock modifications, etc etc just so that they can squeeze out an additional 10fps to run their games on Ultra settings, 16x MSAA, AA features, PhyX enabled, with advanced DX 11 enhancements such as tesselation and so on on a 5-monitor setup for the sheer experience that the game is capable of offering.

    Things that Linux will never ever get to see, period, because everybody there is only interested in playing their games at 1024 x 768 with a shoddy driver delivering only 50fps at Low settings with every enhancement turned off.

    Nouveau surpassing Nvidia's blob in performance? Sure...in another 20 years perhaps.
    Forgot ironit tag?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by artivision View Post
      And you also said that will be on par with catalyst. You actually lie to as for 40th time, make as believe that we will able to replace catalyst. You always do the same since radeonX1950 with a face GPGPU promise.
      That's your own problem for reading too deep into a simple comment.

      He only said that they hope to have launch day support with the open radeon driver when HD8xxx is released. NOTHING about replacing Catalyst anywhere. The idea that the radeon driver can replace Catalust is just what YOU wanted it to be and was never ever mentioned anywhere by Bridgman.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
        Forgot ironit tag?
        NOT irony. Fact.

        In MY country, any serious gamer owns a water-cooled machine and does all that. And I'm proud to be part of that group. Or rather, WAS a part of. Stopped with the water cooling some years back after neglecting to secure the pipes properly after taking them apart to clean and replace the distilled water and a leak shorted out the whole machine.
        Last edited by Sonadow; 10-14-2012, 11:05 AM.

        Comment


        • The devs should change their mind...

          Why ?

          -we are talking about an interface here
          -Why the fuck should i buy an optimus laptop with a discrete nvidia card when i don't want to do some gaming ? And please don't tell me i should use noveau for that ! If you want to tell me now that nvidia simply should open their specs and provide documentation, then take a look where radeon is WITH all these infos .
          -Freedom of choice ! If the enduser wants to use the nvidia blob for whatever reason, he should be able to get the best features out of it.

          I would be really happy to see the linux desktop market share growing. Really ! But to make this happen the users need to get the best experience possible, no matter if we are talking about an opensource or closed driver.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
            That's your own problem for reading too deep into a simple comment.

            He only said that they hope to have launch day support with the open radeon driver when HD8xxx is released. NOTHING about replacing Catalyst anywhere. The idea that the radeon driver can replace Catalust is just what YOU wanted it to be and was never ever mentioned anywhere by Bridgman.

            I speak for something AMD said years ago, not for their latest comments for support from the launch date. If they not remember fine, its been years.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by artivision View Post
              I speak for something AMD said years ago, not for their latest comments for support from the launch date. If they not remember fine, its been years.
              Just so I understand, you're saying that "years ago" we said that we would get rid of Catalyst Linux for HD8000 series ? I've been involved with the open source drivers since the HD2000 days and I really don't remember anything like that.

              Comment


              • OT: AMD Layoffs

                John,

                I read about the unfortunate layoffs at AMD.

                While I know you're not responsible anymore for the open-source department,
                can you tell us if it those layoffs (directly) affect the HSA and open-source efforts,
                i.e. affecting paid developers, writing the docs and doc reviews by the legal department?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by asdx
                  Won't happen. Get over it. Linux devs already made their mind. Nvidia can't use DMA-BUF.
                  That's sad and doesn't make the decision less dumb . Thanks to the dev's for NOT taking care about end users ! If their intention was
                  to keep people with optimus laptops away from Linux, well done guys ! We surely will not see the "year of the linux desktop"anytime soon with this attitude.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by asdx
                    The kernel is GPL and it has to be respected. What's dumb is Nvidia pretending that they can do whatever they want here. If they want to use Linux interfaces they need to play by our rules and respect the license.

                    Well, i don't share your opinion here. If they wanted to reuse gpl kernel code in their code or if they wanted to push closed source code parts into the kernel, i would agree with you.
                    But they really only want to use an interface for communication. Nothing more. Thats far away from beeing evil imho.

                    Another example: If e.g an USB Dongle copy protection hw vendor wants to use the usb interface for communcation with the device, but the way it does it is closed source for keeping the copy protection save, would you also deny this ?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by christian_frank View Post
                      Why ?

                      -we are talking about an interface here
                      -Why the fuck should i buy an optimus laptop with a discrete nvidia card when i don't want to do some gaming ? And please don't tell me i should use noveau for that ! If you want to tell me now that nvidia simply should open their specs and provide documentation, then take a look where radeon is WITH all these infos .
                      -Freedom of choice ! If the enduser wants to use the nvidia blob for whatever reason, he should be able to get the best features out of it.

                      I would be really happy to see the linux desktop market share growing. Really ! But to make this happen the users need to get the best experience possible, no matter if we are talking about an opensource or closed driver.
                      Objectively speaking, it is a dick move by Alan Cox and the devs but your feelings are a bit misplaced.

                      For one. if you are buying a notebook with an Nvidia graphics card to play games you should be running Windows as the primary operating system, not Linux. Even when Steam for Linux arrives, it will only bring a tiny subset of games to Linux. Windows is still where the other 90+% of extremely graphics-intensive, resource-demanding AAA titles are published for. WINE is no substitute and should never be seen as one. If one is going to spend more than half the time playing Windows games, use the right operating system for the right job and run Windows 7 with its full DirectX 11 support.

                      More importantly, the Nvidia driver in Windows also has more options, such as offering the ability to select either the integrated Intel HD graphics or the dedicated GPU as the primary hardware to drive graphics rendering, or to leave it at the default auto-switching mode (which works remarkably well most of the time).

                      Therefore it really makes zero sense to install Linux on a notebook that utilizes Nvidia's Optimus technology. Bumblebee's Optirun is lilttle more than a kludge to enable the use of the dedicated GPU on an application-by-application basis, and the Linux kernel is not intelligent enough to automatically shut down the dedicated GPU even if the Intel core is being used as the primary renderer, wheras in Windows it does.

                      If you already own such a notebook, my best advice is to simply swallow your distaste for Windows and use it for the better driver and power support, or sell it off and get a notebook with only Intel's built-in graphics.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X