NVIDIA Tegra With Open-Source Graphics Is Coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
    Tegra 3 has good performance, but the z buffer seams limited.
    Care to elaborate?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      Care to elaborate?
      As far as I understand, the depth-buffer is 16 bits, just like on the Tegra 2.

Comment

I just find a lot of flickering in many games because of z-fighting

Comment

Originally posted by kusma View Post
          I've been heavily involved in the development of proprietary OpenGL ES drivers before (for the ARM Mali series), so It's not that I'm not able to. It's more that it's not where my level of ambition is -- at least not yet. I don't want to promise things I might not follow through on.
          I see...sorry if I sounded pretentious but I'm sure there may be others out there who could help you out if you have limited time on this project

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
            I see...sorry if I sounded pretentious but I'm sure there may be others out there who could help you out if you have limited time on this project
            You have nothing to be sorry about Writing a modern graphics driver is a huge project, and I would certainly have to rely on help from others if I were to do this. And I feel rather confident that someone will step up to he task as the required documentation is available; the tegra is a pretty wide-spread SoC, and the benefits from an open source driver are many.

Comment

Originally posted by kusma View Post
              As far as I understand, the depth-buffer is 16 bits, just like on the Tegra 2.
              Oh, didn't know that. Certainly sounds like an issue for the more advanced games there, like shadowgun.

Comment

I wonder why this strategy doesn't work for the desktop cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Jam66es View Post
                  I wonder why this strategy doesn't work for the desktop cards.
                  Because most desktop cards are menat to run windows, and most tegra parts run android. What is interesting is that future tegra parts (project denver, boulder and the like) are rumored to have a scaled down version of the desktop GPUs, so if nvidia is commited to this, it could end up being really relevant for desktop GPUs as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X