• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scjet
    replied
    Liars@nvidia

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Linux/X.Org NVIDIA Optimus Support Update

Maarten Lankhorst talked at XDC2012 about the ongoing open-source work for supporting NVIDIA Optimus technology on the Linux desktop...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE5MDY

Yawwwwn, seeing is believeing "Nvaginia", when. maybe 2 years from now ?!
    who cares. nvidia blew it with Optimess, and now it's Intel + AMD for me. (but also, hey COMON AMD !? -make/build/fix your opensource driver to run beautifully in Linux already pleeez.) ~another yawn, ...
    Last edited by scjet; 05 November 2012, 04:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• alcalde
    replied
    Maarten is currently employed by Canonical and they are hoping to have some early support in place for Ubuntu 12.10.
    Is what he's working on going to be readily usable by everyone or some custom hack that's only going to be usable by Canonical?

Leave a comment:

• DeepDayze
    replied
    Originally posted by Panix View Post
    Good luck having properly working power management if it's an AMD card. I haven't read of anyone having such hardware in their laptop working right (with regards to PM). Other features probably don't work either.

Pure Intel might be the only option or disabling the AMD side except that kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it? It just shows neither AMD nor Nvidia support Linux, really.
    Fglrx is pretty broken as it is and yet so far behind the curve, and nvidia just talking the talk about OSS with Optimus but nothing more than that, so you may be right in that Intel is the only company that got a clue

Leave a comment:

• Panix
    replied
    Good luck having properly working power management if it's an AMD card. I haven't read of anyone having such hardware in their laptop working right (with regards to PM). Other features probably don't work either.

Pure Intel might be the only option or disabling the AMD side except that kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it? It just shows neither AMD nor Nvidia support Linux, really.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Great

Great, but I will still avoid Nvidia graphics card in any laptop.

Next laptop I buy will use Intel or AMD integrated graphics.

Leave a comment:

• blackout23
    replied
    Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
    Total system crash? Running glxgears...
    Not cool...
    Who said this is the final release state?

Leave a comment:

• Sidicas
    replied
    Total system crash? Running glxgears...
    Not cool...
    I've spent thousands of dollars on nvidia graphics cards in the past, mostly to run folding@Home on..
    I haven't given nvidia a single cent since they released optimus and neglected linux support.

I'm Intel + AMD all the way now.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Linux/X.Org NVIDIA Optimus Support Update

Linux/X.Org NVIDIA Optimus Support Update

Phoronix: Linux/X.Org NVIDIA Optimus Support Update

Maarten Lankhorst talked at XDC2012 about the ongoing open-source work for supporting NVIDIA Optimus technology on the Linux desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X