Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aliasbody View Post
    Hey there..

I don't want to be rude... it is not my type at all... but this happens everytime with me... so please... F**** You Nvidia...
    Am I glad I didn't catch you on a day you wanted to be rude...

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
      Since you're talking about open source projects (Kernel and X), there was nothing stopping Nvidia from doing the needed work themselves was there?
      So they opted for "let's wait until someone else does it", and that's fine, but that doesn't mean that Nvidia had no choice like you are implying.
      We should all send letters to nvidia to fire this "Aaron Plattner" guy. Lazy worthless employee!

I don't know why all companies don't go opensource. The community does the work for free, and you get all the profit.

Comment

Originally posted by boast View Post
        The community does the work for free, and you get all the profit.
        Oh if that were only true.

Comment

Let's keep it in perspective.

Consider how many people out there actually bought an Optimus laptop to run Linux. A very, very tiny amount.

Take the amount of man-hours required to get something like this working, multiply it by the hourly compensation rate, and divide it by the number of people purchasing the laptops for Linux use and compare it to the revenue gained from each sale. If it doesn't make profit for the company, that decision could cost someone his job. That's just sound business.

As Linux fans, we really can't make demands on companies, devs, etc. until we have the market share. That's where we need to focus our energy.

Comment

Originally posted by boast View Post
            We should all send letters to nvidia to fire this "Aaron Plattner" guy. Lazy worthless employee!

Comment

would be nice to also get HDMI support for optimus by default:

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                As an owner of one of those "shit" Envy's you mention I assure you that you don't need to go into the bios to get this working - you will however need to restart X if you'd like to switch between the main GPUs.
                If you are a owner from the SHITENVY first generation. You are lucky you can unlock your bios ( by hacks) and then change the default output (some bios are not double signed like second and 3 generations) and other ones are sold with the primary output card being the amd.
                If you are owner from 14/15"envy 1, 2 generation you already have a advanced option in bios to change the default output card. Then just switch to amd and. OK

If you have a second generation or 3 generation Envy 17 or 17 3d. good luck. ( seems the 3 generation. Nor in windows you can switch between cards. Same if HP sell this being possible).

There is no WAY. You can disable the AMd card with vgaswitcheroo. but not use the AMD one.
                does't matter what trick you do. boot with intel, later copy xorg and boot with amd and restart x. Change framebuffer in boot kernel.
                NOTHING. The driver load PERFECT. BUT BLACK SCREEN. Just there is no output for the default monitor. If you use an external monitor. then. sometimes work. But not default one.
                If you have an second generation HP envy. Or anyone here with an amd 6850 card working with catalyst and switching the cards. Please, let me know how.

ho. About the not need of BIOS.
                Do a test. go in bios and change the primary output in a working catalyst linux one. And change to INTEL the primary output card. Then give us the result after the boot. I already do this test in so many notebooks I have a crystal ball for know what will happens.
                Last edited by fritzls; 01 September 2012, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Everything except xrandr 1.4 (the tool), the Intel ddx, and Nouveau ddx is PRIME-enabled and present in the Ubuntu 12.10 repos.

But PRIME still really sucks. I could only get mplayer2, WebGL, and glxgears to render with it. OpenArena and glxspheres loaded but wouldn't render due to PGRAPH errors.

eric@gensokyo:~$ DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo | grep OpenGL
                  OpenGL vendor string: nouveau
                  OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on NVC3
                  OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 8.1-devel
                  OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
                  OpenGL extensions:

eric@gensokyo:~$ xrandr --listproviders | grep Provider
                  Providers: number : 2
                  Provider 0: id: 141 cap: b nc: 2 no: 4 nap 1 name:Intel
                  Provider 1: id: 98 cap: 5 nc: 2 no: 1 nap 1 name:nouveau

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                    I've been saying for a long long time, Optimus isn't just up to Nvidia. It was the graphics stack itself (from the kernel to X) that wasn't capable and needed to catch up. With xrandr1.4 and dma-buf, the graphics stack has caught up. *This* allowed Nvidia to start working on Optimus. Not the middle finger.
                    Nvidia is using the graphics stack, so they could have helped a lot by providing the Xorg developers with details of what new features they needed from the graphics stack years ago (preferably even before the actual hardware was commercially available), instead of doing this as an afterthought?

Comment

Originally posted by JanC View Post
                      Nvidia is using the graphics stack, so they could have helped a lot by providing the Xorg developers with details of what new features they needed from the graphics stack years ago (preferably even before the actual hardware was commercially available), instead of doing this as an afterthought?
                      You say X.org developers like we have a few spare sitting around for companies to tell us what to do.

We've known we wanted X to do this stuff for years, it doesn't change that unless you commit developers it doesn't happen. NVIDIA could have helped work on this they had the expertise but the company didn't see optimus support on Linux as important enough to dedicate resources to. Thats just a commerical reality.

The only reason X.org got this functionality ever is because I decided I had to have it and my boss accepted that as a worthy task to spend a few years on.

Dave.

Comment

Working...
                      X