No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Loses Huge GPU Order Due To Linux Blob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since the Linus - nVidia flame, people started to say a lot of false rumors.

This article it's quite oppotunistic.

I don't buy that.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
      No it's not. Fglrx is easily one of the worst possible drivers you could use on Linux.

It may look half-way decent when you are running full screen benchmarks, but in terms of actual real world use it's compatibility with applications and desktops is miserable and it's crash prone. Not to also mention that it's miserable to install.
      Oh boy, you haven't seen the likes of EMGD, then.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
        So, loosing at least 350 million dollars doesn't cost money? Or releasing documentation would cost more than selling 10 million graphics chips?
        Well it's not pure profit. It still costs them money to produce the gpus.

Comment

I just want to say something about some false rumors against Loongson (mips). The L3C part has 16 cores, each of them has 2*512bit FMAC vectors for Float and another same length unit for Integer, thats bigger than Ivy Bridge and only with 20watt @2ghz. This is 512Gflops DP64bit, or 1Tflop SP64, or 2Tflops SP32, or 4Tops-32 (with Integer). Also has Emulation Instructions in order to accelerate Qemu, and Mips3D Instructions in order to accelerate Software Rasterizers like LLVMpipe. So I don't think that this processor, or another one from the new technologies that are in development, will have an AMD or another GPU, because they don't need one.

Comment

Getting rid of as much 3rd party IP in their products as they can is one thing both AMD and nVidia can do to help as the 3rd parties are generally quite restrictive in their licensing. These 3rd parties can include the Hollywood studios, chip suppliers to nVidia or other rightsholders to the decoding mechanisms for example. If all this 3rd party stuff's dealt with then it'll be easier for more open drivers to be developed.

All that is asked of the hardware vendors is enough documentation to allow developers to write a functional and useful Linux driver for the hardware. This Linux hardware support will even help drive sales as there are a lot of people out there who'd buy hardware that works quite well with a well-supported Linux driver. These hardware makers should realize there's a whole new market out there when Linux supports their hardware

Comment

Title of this article is wrong

NVIDIA Loses Huge GPU Order Due To Linux Blob
              This is only partial truth NVIDIA lost the GPU order because they are unwilling to support their customers with know-how

Comment

Originally posted by From the article
                along with making colorful comments about the green company, NVIDIA's bullshit response
                I don't understand the tone here. Even if Nvidia is not going to release their card specs or open their drivers, how does that make them bullshit?

It's their f*cking choice. I couldn't care less whether they opened their driver or not. If they lose their customers because of it, that's their concern. Why is it so tough for you to accept?

Comment

Originally posted by ArchLinux View Post
                  I don't understand the tone here. Even if Nvidia is not going to release their card specs or open their drivers, how does that make them bullshit?

It's their f*cking choice. I couldn't care less whether they opened their driver or not. If they lose their customers because of it, that's their concern. Why is it so tough for you to accept?
                  Don't take it too seriously... he just needed a way to slip in another self-link to generate more ad revenue, and feigning outrage makes the link seem click-worthy.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    Don't take it too seriously... he just needed a way to slip in another self-link to generate more ad revenue, and feigning outrage makes the link seem click-worthy.
                    Yeah.. Maybe so...

Comment

Originally posted by ArchLinux View Post
                      That PR release was full of PR talk, a.k.a. bullshit. It's nothing special about NVidia, that's just what PR departments do. Their specialty is bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                      X