NVIDIA Loses Huge GPU Order Due To Linux Blob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
    There's way too many anti-capitalists looking at China as "the future"(in a positive way), for China to be capitalist.

It's still communist.
    No, not really. They have an open market and personal property is a possibility. It's close to being communist, of course, but they performed some changes in their constitution in the 70s.

Sad thing is, most people don't know what communism is anymore, or why it's so dangerous.
    Communism isn't dangerous. Unless you're American.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      you just made me spill my coffee laughing

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
        Fuck you nvidia, you will just keep going down from here, enjoy your way to bankruptcy.
        relax, they currently got the fastest GPU on the market, they got a huge windows user base and believe it or not they got the most feature complete and stable linux driver on the market.......... they will be just fine.

Comment

lol, i didn't expect to laugh so much reading this! honestly i do agree with your comment.

Comment

Communism is dangerous when you reject to be a communist. However, focusing on topic I hope they'll base on Open Source drivers and give a sign to other companies that being Open Source pays off.

Comment

I'll believe this when we see a credible source.

That is, unless we are to believe AMD did a .5Bn deal and aren't going to make a press release about it?

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
                No it's not. Fglrx is easily one of the worst possible drivers you could use on Linux.

It may look half-way decent when you are running full screen benchmarks, but in terms of actual real world use it's compatibility with applications and desktops is miserable and it's crash prone. Not to also mention that it's miserable to install.
                JockeyKDE can install it and remove it quite reasonably well, I believe, in Kubuntu.

I personally don't use it because the radeon open source drivers are perfectly fine for use on my Kubuntu (KDE4) desktop. All the composited desktop bling one could possibly well. Poeple who troll these Phoronix forums are quite keen to try to insist that fglrx has better performance (as good as Windows they say), however, and that the radeon open source drivers have still a way to go yet.

Considering that fglrx is purported to have equivalent performance to the Windows driver, "mediocre linux drivers" fits perfectly for description of the radeon open source drivers, which achieve perhaps only about 75% of that performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Xilanaz View Post
                  relax, they currently got the fastest GPU on the market, they got a huge windows user base and believe it or not they got the most feature complete and stable linux driver on the market
                  I don't believe that nVidia does have the fastest GPU.

An anonymous reader writes "The benchmarks are in for the Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition. Starting at $500, AMD's new single-GPU flagship boosts the original 7970's clock speed from 925 MHz to 1 GHz (1050 MHz with Boost). The GHz Edition also sports 3 GB of faster 1500 MHz GDDR5 memory, pushing 288 GB/s...

"The benchmarks are in for the Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition. Starting at $500, AMD's new single-GPU flagship boosts the original 7970's clock speed from 925 MHz to 1 GHz (1050 MHz with Boost). The GHz Edition also sports 3 GB of faster 1500 MHz GDDR5 memory, pushing 288 GB/s as opposed to 264 GB/s. ... With the new Catalyst, Nvidia's GeForce GTX 670 can no longer beat the original Radeon HD 7970, and the GHz Edition outmaneuvers the GeForce GTX 680 in most cases."

So hell no. Not by a squillion miles, especially if you happen to be a maker of MIPS64-based processor (loonsong), so that your only viable OS is Linux, and nVidia only have an x86/x86_64 binary blob to offer you.

If you do happen to be a maker of MIPS64-based processor, or an OEM with an ARM processor/SoC other than Tegra, the nVidia driver for Linux offering has precisely zero features or stability.
                  Last edited by hal2k1; 23 June 2012, 04:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                    Communism is dangerous when you reject to be a communist.
                    Oh, come on. As if western style democracy is an option
                    when you're a "strategically important" country.

Comment

On some days life is just good.

I love the reason why they didn't buy the nvs: because they don't provide free driver development. It seems the Chinese do know certain things well. I wish we had such decisions elsewhere in the world.
                      I hope the profit from the money will be spent onto AMD's free driver development! You listen, AMD folks, don't you?
                      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                      X