Nouveau Work On The Fermi Scripting Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    people who say that funding devs to support a company that has not been FOSS friendly have a point though.
    It's seriously about a bit bigger picture than that if Linux on desktop ever wants to succeed. It's important that at least all popular hardware is properly supported and NVIDIA graphics cards easily fall in that category. I should also note that if people didn't work on drivers for companies that themselves didn't support open source software Linux wouldn't be anywhere these days.

Comment

and why is that. so one day we can play 3d games. any good game that is going to be released will be closed source. I don't see the point of making reverse engineered FOSS drivers (which will always suck balls, because you are working with your hands tied behind your back) so we can MAYBE, one day play those closed source games. you are talking about decades here. apple has a good system for games and it still lacks in titles. what makes you think that linux's position won't be any different.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
        and why is that. so one day we can play 3d games.
        Not really. It's primarily to gain a reasonable amount of control over an important piece of hardware in your system. Like being able to control whether it uses 300W or 30W or 3W of power.

Other than "3d" for games you also want enough GPU power for modern desktop environments, multimedia/graphics applications, GPGPU, etc. Not to mention all the 2D rendering that is nowadays done with 3D engines.
        For mainstream users most of the above a) should work out of the box and b) doesn't necessarily need all the speed and features of blob drivers.

Comment

What is Mainstream?

Seriously. What is Mainstream? I am the local / family "IT" guy. When it is broke, i get the pieces with a "I will be back in ...say 30 minutes right??" Now, far too often it is internet surfing that is the root cause. That being said, quite a lot of those people "Game" to one degree or another. I admit some of them are only into the likes of Sudoku, Mahjong, or card card games. But quite a few have at least 1 or 2 FPS installed, or other things that are 3D dependant game wise. I get sick to death of hearing Linux ... *takes a deep breath*... people say "Oh boohoo on 3D only idiots or windows people play them!" BULL!!!!

Wake the HELL up please???? Games are big business. What you are linux so you are too proud to take a gamer's money?? What?? I am typing this from Fedora 17. I used to be a fairly hardcore gamer. Married with children changed that, but I do still have games on my computer that I enjoy playing. Ok, right at the moment I have been lazy since my upgrade to F17 and have not wrestled with Catalyst. Oh wait... I have an old 3870.... still... maybe it can work

I want to puke when I see Linux Devs say something like "oh its only 3D piss on them"...

Comment

Originally posted by diriel View Post
            I want to puke when I see Linux Devs say something like "oh its only 3D piss on them"...
            No one says that.

These forums get worse and worse by the day. Why am I still here?

Comment

You secretly enjoy it, admit it.

Comment

Far too often I see, "Ok, we have 2D up and running and a very crude 3D framework so we are moving on to more pressing matters." Hey I will be the first to say I am seeing some effort going into 3D now, but even so far too often it is "3D is UP...but games may be weak. But hey ... )

So maybe I need to get another cup of Coffee and simmer down. Perhaps I could have written my previous post a bit more circumspectly. I am running linux, and have been for a while. Over the last decade or so I have played with linux on and off many times. These days MS has annoyed me to the point I simply said "no more", and I mean it. Still I truly wish 3D would Land Already Please!!

I can't wait to see if Valve - Steam will actually get things to break loose some.

So if my previous post came off sounding badly, oops my bad.

Comment

Originally posted by mattst88 View Post
                  Or, you think everyone should focus solely on one piece of hardware?
                  I do, yes.

In the long run, linux needs to support all hardware, of course.

But i think it makes more sense to focus on 1 piece of hardware first and get it to a point that it's working well, before moving on to the next.

Otherwise you end up in the current situation, where everything kind of works, if you tweak it enough, but still mostly sucks.

*not everyone - since of course you can't tell people what they do on their own time. but official work that is being paid for, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
                    It's seriously about a bit bigger picture than that if Linux on desktop ever wants to succeed. It's important that at least all popular hardware is properly supported and NVIDIA graphics cards easily fall in that category. I should also note that if people didn't work on drivers for companies that themselves didn't support open source software Linux wouldn't be anywhere these days.
                    I don't disagree with nouveau funding but then again when i think about it i go meh . If ie the G3D state trackers were feature full and performing good maybe i wouldn't care but knowing that there are so much more that require funding in the graphics stack spoils it a bit for me.

Anyway i am not the one making decisions.

Comment

D3

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                      and why is that. so one day we can play 3d games. any good game that is going to be released will be closed source.
                      I'm playing Diablo 3 with wine+nouveau right now, at fluid ~30 fps @1680x1050 +AA ... if I could raise the clocks on my GPU I could even play with high quality effects & shadows. I don't notice that much visual difference to playing on Windows though.
                      Anyway, it works good enough that I'm just over the threshold to not rebooting :-).

Comment

Working...
                      X