X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kivada
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Being an ass isn't going to work either, and just makes it easier to ignore you. You've got me halfway rooting for Michael right now, and that's not where i was yesterday.
    Eh, I'm just as if I was in person, I don't suffer fools well at all and having to repeat myself ad nauseam causes me to write with contempt, but I mean well no matter how much of a bastard I may come across as to those that are easily offended.

Besides, It's scientifically proven the swearing is good for you http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...hy-do-we-swear

Now though at this point I still doubt Larabel will ever improve the site, but thats never stopped me before.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
    You don't have to use Steam. No one is going to make you. I'm more interested in what Steam will do in terms of more developers and users flocking to Linux, which will improve the platform across the board, both for free software and otherwise.

Think of it like you're a politician, and there's a bill that's going to pass into law, and you don't like 60% of it, but 40% of it is extremely beneficial to you or your constituents. Do you vote in favor?
    Yeap, that's my thoughts as well. I tried Steam once and never again, and will definitely never return to it. But if it attracts more users to GNU/Linux, then it will be an incentive for developers to port their games here, not necessarily using Steam for distribution. So, in essence, it's a crude tool that nevertheless helps to achieve the desired results.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    I know that one is pointed at me, and like I said, I and many others have tried being constructive before with no results after many years, if being nice about it doesn't work then it's time to try a new tactic.
    Being an ass isn't going to work either, and just makes it easier to ignore you. You've got me halfway rooting for Michael right now, and that's not where i was yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• Kivada
    replied
    Originally posted by Kamikaze View Post
    Thank you. That's how constructive criticism is done.[
    I know that one is pointed at me, and like I said, I and many others have tried being constructive before with no results after many years, if being nice about it doesn't work then it's time to try a new tactic.

Leave a comment:

• Vax456
    replied
    Oh yeah, Michael, one further addendum.

Stop writing in the first person.

I want you to recall one of the many times Stephen Colbert gets in front of the camera and takes all the glory instead of the person he's interviewing.

Now I want you to picture a person doing that in real life, does it subconsciencly, and does it every single minute of the day. Most people would call that guy a self-centered douchebag.

I'm not calling YOU a self-centered douchebag. I've never met you and I'm sure you're a cool guy, but you certainly come off as a self-centered douchebag when reading these articles.

Leave a comment:

• Kamikaze
    replied
    Originally posted by Vax456 View Post
    I can't ++ this enough.

Please, for the sake of Phoronix's quality, leave your personal opinions and your beer tasting out of these articles. Those belong in a different section on Phoronix that's clearly labelled "Michael's Online Journal" or "Michael's Blog", or post your thoughts and feeling in the forum for the article.
    *snip*
    Thank you. That's how constructive criticism is done.

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
    You don't have to use Steam. No one is going to make you. I'm more interested in what Steam will do in terms of more developers and users flocking to Linux, which will improve the platform across the board, both for free software and otherwise.
    Yes, this is exactly what I'm most excited about too. I like Steam, Valve and their games, but I'm more excited by the potential ripple effect of a BIG PC game distributor endorsing the platform. It should focus more attention on linux as a viable platform, and could improve things across the board.

Leave a comment:

• Vax456
    replied
    Originally posted by prophet5 View Post
    * The games you buy have no resale value. You cannot sell your games as second hand. DRM
    I agree, but on the flip side, that's more money going into the company's pockets rather than middleman retailers like Gamestop. Companies could potentially decrease the price of their games in a shorter amount of time. And don't forget about Steam sales. I'm not saying that's better than second-hand games, but it's not all that bad.

* Poor Internet connection. Many people have issues with their Internet connections or don't have one at all. The usual response from the Steam community is "Get better Internet." Quite insulting really.
    I'm not entirely sure why this is a problem. Isn't it clear to the user that they have to download the games and need a constant internet connection? What else can people say or how can they help?

* Servers down... I know the idea is to be able to play whenever and wherever you want. Doesn't always work does it.
    It's a problem with any internet-based application. Hell, any kind of long-range communication. Shit happens, stuff goes down, customers get pissed off and threaten to leave, it's an everyday thing with almost any appliance. I don't think we should be using this as an argument against DRM.

Leave a comment:

• allquixotic
    replied
    I'm struggling to see the importance of Steam coming to Linux; it is Digital Rights Management after all; and I thought the whole philosophy behind Linux was against DRM.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not flaming Steam. It does have some good points. However the bad points still need to be addressed.

* The games you buy have no resale value. You cannot sell your games as second hand. DRM
    * Physical media STILL require Steam. This essentially forces Bricks and Mortar stores to advertise a competitor.
    * Poor Internet connection. Many people have issues with their Internet connections or don't have one at all. The usual response from the Steam community is "Get better Internet." Quite insulting really.
    * Spending money on an "Error Message". This does happen, and the official word is "No Refunds". To get support in this matter is a headache, and I only know of one person who has succeeded. He stated that surely you (Steam) know I paid for game X and know game X didn't download...
    * Servers down... I know the idea is to be able to play whenever and wherever you want. Doesn't always work does it.
    * Auto updates. Breaks something; wait for next update. Can't play single player games until game is updated. Yes I know you can turn updates off and Offline mode. Still a PITA.

At least with Frictional Games, Unigine and Humble I can download for all my platforms, don't need to login to anything to play, and can re download if I need to (cloud storage)

Think of it like you're a politician, and there's a bill that's going to pass into law, and you don't like 60% of it, but 40% of it is extremely beneficial to you or your constituents. Do you vote in favor?

Leave a comment:

• Vax456
    replied
    Originally posted by numasan View Post
    Do yourself a favor and put up an interview with Mr. Newell, please.
    I can't ++ this enough.

Please, for the sake of Phoronix's quality, leave your personal opinions and your beer tasting out of these articles. Those belong in a different section on Phoronix that's clearly labelled "Michael's Online Journal" or "Michael's Blog", or post your thoughts and feeling in the forum for the article.

I don't know about anyone else, but I want to read about Steam for Linux and I what the developers have to say. If they're keeping their mouths shut, that's fine. Note it accordingly in the article. Don't pad it out by somehow tying beer, how many article's you've written on Phoronix, how crappy Windows 8 may or may not be, how you're paying for the trip with ad-revenue, and a bunch of other bullshit. Keep it concise, clear, and to the point! Look at how H-online did an article on the same topic:
    Valve, best known for games like Half Life and Portal, is reportedly working on a Linux version of the Steam client software and on "Left 4 Dead", a game based on the company's "Source Engine"

They managed to sum up your two-page article in 3 paragraphs.

Oh and speaking of ad-revenue, will you please start linking to external articles? When I'm unfamiliar with the topic you're talking about, and there's a link that has more information, it's extremely frustrating that it goes to another Phoronix article that suffers from the same problems that I am complaining about above. Linking to your own articles is fine, it's when these articles are full of rambling bullshit is when it gets frustrating.

Also, don't point out that there are doubters for your original "Steam is coming to Linux" debut article so you can give yourself a chance to step on your soap box and subtly say, "I told you so!". If you write these articles professionally, people will arrive to that conclusion themselves. Instead, you take this chance to pull a sucker punch on the (very well-reasoned) doubters and make an ass of yourself.

I'm not criticizing the accuracy of your articles, I'm criticizing how you write them. You treat these articles as a blog, and while that's okay for getting your personal opinions on a subject heard, it's not okay for reporting ground-breaking news that will affect hundred's of thousands of people. It diminishes the quality of your report and gains the same respectablility as a tabloid.

I'll continue to go to Phoronix because the topics Michael reports on can be great, it's the way it's written that blows my mind.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by fuzz View Post
    Considering these problems aren't limited to Linux, I'd rather have the Linux client first then have the problems addressed later.
    Basically none of those are issues with Steam itself but rather the game publishers who choose to add DRM to their games. It's not like Steam is forcing them to do so, they just make it possible - and in a way that is better to gamers than the typical DRM crap.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X