Valve's Gabe Newell Talks Linux Steam Client, Source Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @ownagefool

Finally! Someone that actually has some business sense!

It doesn't help though that I don't trust the justice department in the US or EU to not let Microsoft lock everything that's not Windows 8 out of X86 via UEFI SecureBoot though... The big legal powers on both sides of the pond have shown if you throw enough money at them any problems the general public may have with it go away quite quickly. Just see CISPA and ACTA... Both things Larabel should really be bringing up...

Comment

• Originally posted by susikala View Post
      Kivada has a point with his skepticism, which I mentioned before and must ephasise here: why invite someone as unreliable as Phoronix instead of just posting a news item themselves? Can you see anything at http://www.valvesoftware.com/news/? Because I can't. The only logical explanation for this is that Valve are being very cautious, and using Phoronix as a possible scapegoat. The fact Phoronix doesn't see that itself speaks a lot for the quality of the site, but I assume that's just what Valve were thinking too.

So yeah, Valve didn't pull a gigantic hoax here, they pulled a very clever tactic move that keeps them secured while leaving all options on the table and commiting them to nothing. Just like professionals.
      Yep, all they have to do is yank the chain and their Larabel monkey will dance.

Comment

• Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
        Your credit card numbers are not stored in the Steam client, and nowhere did I ever suggest or mention that I'd want, or that Valve would want, to release the server-side source code to Steam.
        I suggest you attempt to understand how the auto form fill in works before you start lecturing people. The Steam client does store credit card information if you don't uncheck the box (on every single purchase) that says store my credit card information.

The password information that was stolen was for the steam forums, nice deflection, though.

So you're basically saying that if Valve writes some proprietary graphics stack specifically for their Steambox, and their Linux ports of their games only run on that proprietary graphics stack, you'd be fine with that?
        Sure. The world will continue just fine without X.

Comment

• Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
          I suggest you attempt to understand how the auto form fill in works before you start lecturing people. The Steam client does store credit card information if you don't uncheck the box (on every single purchase) that says store my credit card information.

The password information that was stolen was for the steam forums, nice deflection, though.

Sure. The world will continue just fine without X.
          Then I am curious, why Linux password protection is so good after so many years of being implemented in the open?

The idea of designing a proprietary graphic stack from scratch just to kick good old X is ridiculous. Have you not noticed that modern Linux graphic stack is independent of X? Otherwise how would Wayland run? Also, when having a choice of writing a proprietary stack and taking advantage of existing one, which one would you really choose?

Comment

• Originally posted by YaPeL View Post
            John Carmack : there is a native linux client for QuakeLive, but it saw less than 20% of the users the mac got, despite a better version.
            The reason I personally am not using it is because the official Firefox plugin for Linux for QuakeLive is broken as hell. It took me 15 minutes to find the forum topic where someone else made a launcher which did work reasonably. Now, you clearly need to understand that most people are not running Test Pilot in FireFox, and a lot of people don't even know what a forum does so the fact that it even got close to 20% of the amount of users the MAC version has is more spectacular in a "whoa, that's a lot of people" way than a "that's very little" way.

Originally posted by Kamikaze View Post
            Back to the topic (sort of) - re- Gabe's dislike of Win8, I've seen comments in slashdot referring to an MS Store. Does this only relate to mobile versions of Win8 or is there indeed going to be an MS Store on desktop Windows 8 releases too?
            The desktop version of Windows 8 has an App Store similar to MAC OS X or the Ubuntu Software Center as well. It's just designed in a way where I can't find anything in it, but that's my general opinion on Windows 8.
            Last edited by AnonymousCoward; 26 April 2012, 08:50 AM. Reason: Preventing double-post

Comment

• Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
              I'm pretty sure that the credit card information is stored on their server with your account - not on your local system with the client. If I remember correctly, letting Steam save your credit card details in the client and then using the store through any web browser, you don't need to re-enter the card info.

Comment

• Why all the Phoronix hating?

These are such good news and Michael Larabel is actively helping deliver the Linux Steam client.
                Why are people whining so much(specially slashdotters)? Not only this but every single f****ing article and benchmark. No matter how throughout and extensive the benchmarks are, there's some compiler flag(or whatever) that wasn't tested that makes the benchmark totally void.

Over the years Phoronix has helped me be a better Linux developer and to deliver better products. Who else is giving us this?
                -Benchmarks on wide variety of topics(kernels, compilers, OSs, drivers, games...)
                -Hardware and drivers news for Linux
                -Extensive regression testing
                -Linux gaming news
                -Hardware review with Linux in mind
                -Opensource multi-OS benchmarking tools!
                So kudos to Phoronix!

Not interested in Linux games speculation? Skip it! Benchmarks composed of over 1 thousand tests not enough? Do it yourself!
                Just point me to one tech news site that doesn't speculate on unreleased products.

ps: Michael give us an Gabe Newell interview. They are always good!
                ps2: Setting aside +100 dollars for the Valve Complete Pack and a year Phoronix subscription for when the first Valve game is launched.

Comment

• If you hate Phoronix, go start your own linux review/benchmarking site. I would love to see more coverage and different perspectives. Who wouldn't?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                    I have no doubt that he is the goatse guy... He is German after all...
                    I don't think he really is a German. He's probably from Austria and pretending to be German to make them look bad (Just as that well known Austrian guy, whose name starts with an A and ends with Hitler, did)

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
                      maybe thats the link between Hitler and my person.
                      Nah, you're just a douche.

(Kidding!)

Comment

Working...
                      X