Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 "Kepler" On Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arbition View Post
    I didn't notice any mention of this, but can all four displays be used at the same time? I'd love to ditch my multi card hack that I am running at the moment. Even better is if it works with nouveau with all screens.
    Yep, that's the point of having four CRTCs. You should be able to drive 4 screens with one card, if you find one with suitable connectors.

I don't think anyone tested 4 screens with nouveau yet, but it may even work as the preparations for this are in the kernel for some time. But please don't pin me on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by DiaperJe|\|i3 View Post
      So the 7970 is probably faster than the GTX 680 with this driver set. Interesting!
      It largely depends on the workload. In some benchmarks from this article, the 680 is the winner, in others the 7970 end up first.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynxeye View Post
        Yep, that's the point of having four CRTCs. You should be able to drive 4 screens with one card, if you find one with suitable connectors.

I don't think anyone tested 4 screens with nouveau yet, but it may even work as the preparations for this are in the kernel for some time. But please don't pin me on this one.
        The patch for 4 screen support came pre-release, well disguised: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/nouveau/...8501e2dbe00a3d
        It's probably not yet tested much but IIRC (also don't pin me on this one) the devs thought it works.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertP View Post
          It largely depends on the workload. In some benchmarks from this article, the 680 is the winner, in others the 7970 end up first.
          The article did not compare with HD7970, but rather with HD7950.

Comment

You're right. But keep in mind that this 7950 is OC'd. The results without OC are also shown however as "800-1250". It's possible that the driver still has to be optimized for the 680.

Comment

Originally posted by d.a.a. View Post
              What kind of problem? JuliaGPU and SmallPt run without problems on my HD7970/HD6970 GPUs (I'm running Debian GNU/Linux, fglrx 12-3).

Also, I would like to see some OpenCL double-precision float point benchmarks, as this type of workload is very important for scientific computation.
              Yeah, what kind of problem? None of the other magazine's benchmarking (anandtech, toms hardware, etc) had any problem with opencl apart from on the 680. And when it did run it was generally quite abysmal. e.g. where's the ray tracer test?

NVIDIA, on the other hand, usually always has great OpenCL/CUDA SDK support in place for Linux.
              That comment alone is totally suss because nvidia's opencl support on consumer hardware is terrible on any platform.

Comment

Why would you use a GTX 680 on a Linux OS? Surely its a waste since only Windows could really benefit from its full performance. Talking about gaming and general 3D acceleration. No Linux software could possibly make use of a GTX 680 unless its running wine and brute forcing past the slow performance.

Comment

That's correct, basically you don't need so much speed for native linux games. If you want much more performance for boinc and similar tools this can be different. Nobody has got something against a dual/multiboot system to play some games on another window os dx performance is not optimal when you use wine. opengl however is very fast using wine but there are not many games which use it.

Comment

oilrush is no real opengl 4 title and extremly stripped down. heaven is only a benchmark not a game. so what is left?

Comment

Originally posted by phync View Post
                      Why would you use a GTX 680 on a Linux OS? Surely its a waste since only Windows could really benefit from its full performance. Talking about gaming and general 3D acceleration. No Linux software could possibly make use of a GTX 680 unless its running wine and brute forcing past the slow performance.
                      Do NOT post FUD. You DO buy 680 for Linux and Linux DOES have MORE ways to utilize its power than Windows.

Comment

Working...
                      X