NVIDIA Is Joining The Linux Foundation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
    An aside: I tend to buy NV over ATI because NV usually is quicker with Linux driver support I am not dragging out the "ATI makes crappy drivers" argument here: ATI makes fine drivers for Linux, but not always in a timely manner.

My comment: NV can't open source it's drivers for the simple reason that doing so would give away many trade secrets about the structure of it's silicon. Same is true for AMD.
    Linux development does not ask NV or AMD to "open source" its code. All it asks for is programming specifications, so that Linux developers can write their own driver code.

Like so:

Doing this does NOT give away any trade secrets about the structure of the silicon. There are no copycat clones of AMD/ATI silicon around due to AMD/ATI having released the programming specifications linked above. All that has resulted is an open source driver written by developers at Xorg.

Releasing these programming specifications has hurt AMD/ATI ... not one teent tiny solitary bit.

Comment

I stand corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by hal2k1 View Post

IMO Nvidia need desperately to do something positive re Linux or Tegra won't be used any longer for Android. This is a big market to miss out on.
        I agree, I think nvidia has been making a pretty big mistake in regards to their lack of Tegra support on Linux. This is a big reason why ARM tablets are becoming more and more popular. Linux enthusiasts should definitely be buying tablets with ARM chips rather than Tegra chips becauase there is so much more that can be done with them (ie: Debian, Plasma Active Two, etc. runs on ARM).

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
          I agree, I think nvidia has been making a pretty big mistake in regards to their lack of Tegra support on Linux. This is a big reason why ARM tablets are becoming more and more popular. Linux enthusiasts should definitely be buying tablets with ARM chips rather than Tegra chips becauase there is so much more that can be done with them (ie: Debian, Plasma Active Two, etc. runs on ARM).
          Sorry, but this is bulls**t.

First thing: Tegra also uses ARM CPU cores.
          If we are speaking about the graphics cores ARM Mali today is no more or less open than the Tegra. For both you get GPLed kernel drivers (NVidia host a nice git repo for this), but both also need closed source userspace driver parts to get you something on the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
            Only sad thing about the omap's is, they use our big bad friend, PowerVR.
            I'll take powervr over nvidia any day.
            The biggest problem that can be associated with powervr was actually caused by INTEL.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
              Heh?

Comment

Half-hearted

I recently got a Toshiba Ac-100 (Netbook based on the Tegra2 Harmony chipset). I installed Ubuntu Oneiric on it and looked for some halfway reasonable drivers (right now it's running on a frame buffer driver).

What i found was this:

NVIDIA is pleased to announce that Linux for Tegra release 12 Beta is now available. The NVIDIA Tegra Linux Driver Package supports development of platforms running:

NVIDIA Tegra 3 series computer-on-a-chip (Cardhu)
                NVIDIA Tegra 2 series computer-on-a-chip (Harmony* and Ventana)
                2.6.36 Linux kernel

* Additionally, developers should note that support for Harmony devices will be deprecated following this release. Support for Harmony will transition to community-supported Linux kernels, and Ventana will be the Tegra 2 reference platform.

If this is the kind of support NVidia is providing for Linux - well. Very sad because it's a really nice machine (especially compared to the Atom-powered netbooks that dominate the market right now).

Comment

Originally posted by klapauzius View Post
                  Support for Harmony will transition to community-supported Linux kernels
                  This doesn't sound like they're dropping support to me.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                    I'll take powervr over nvidia any day.
                    The biggest problem that can be associated with powervr was actually caused by INTEL.
                    Yes, they already acknowledged that. This is not their fault that powervr denies opensource, their fault was to choose them as gpu provider. I hope they will not make more faults like this.

Comment

Working...
                    X