Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AlbertP
    replied
    Honestly I don't think it will catch up that fast, as there's still loads of OpenGL3/4 work to do. But yes reaching over 60% of the blob's speed is already possible with some games when manually setting the highest performance level. And also the support for SLI, TV-out, video decode, HDMI audio, OpenCL, etc. is still missing or not as good as the blob.

Leave a comment:

• mirza
    replied
    Wow

It seems that, by the end of this year, Nouveau can catch-up with binary blob performance-wise, making binary blob obsolete in the same second (except for newest chip). Maby that could be a moment for NVIDIA, to get their heads out of their asses and start investing in Nouveau.

Leave a comment:

• AlbertP
    replied
    It can't just boost performance, it can also save power for certain GPU's. My laptop boots at power level 1, but I can now set Nouveau to level 0 to save power.

Leave a comment:

• Welsh Dwarf
    replied
    Well done!

Even as an ATI card owner, I'm really excited about this.

Bugs aside (they'll be worked out in a month or so) we are within a factor of 2 of the NVIDIA blob running doom3 (ie shader based, more or less modern, gpu taxing game).

When the first Doom3 benchmarks came out, the difference was a factor of 10.

That's a massive improvement. Congratulations Nouveau/mesa teams.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X