NVIDIA Talks Of Optimus Possibilities For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Actually you're proving me right. I tried one of those... worked better than most but still couldn't handle my phone line. Worked fine in Toronto though...
    I just interesting did you notice this post?

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
      I just interesting did you notice this post?
      Not sure I understand the question. I tried the USR PCI modem about 18 months ago, if that helps.
      Test signature

Comment

Not sure I understand the question. I tried the USR PCI modem about 18 months ago, if that helps.
        My question is not about modem, I just ask: did you notice this post http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...661#post248661 ?

Comment

My question is not about modem, I just ask: did you notice this post http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...661#post248661 ?
          Sorry, I didn't see the link in your recent post #77; putting the URL in the text helped me find it, thanks.

I did see your earlier post but it's long, it covers a lot of different topics mostly boiling down to "hey spend a bunch more money, OK ?", it includes a question about yet another post, and it's 3AM here.

Q presumably blames Microsoft for the lack of response, which is an interesting hypothesis. I wouldn't even be typing this much if the CO detector hadn't started shrieking in the middle of the night. Guess I closed the damper on the masonry heater a bit too soon
          Last edited by bridgman; 29 January 2012, 04:45 AM.
          Test signature

Comment

@ bridgman

Might i suggest that you give it a rest? Trading barbs with certified idiots and numbskulls like Qaridarium is really just walking into that troll's trap.

And since I'm already here, might as well add some more fuel to Qaridarium's fire. Where shall I start? How about the fact that:

1. I suggested to my university to NOT support any notebooks running Linux some 3 years ago and apparently the suggestion was accepted.

2. I converted my Mom's Linux box into a Windows 7 box and she's never been happier now that she can use MS Office 2007 once again, along with support for all the various Office tools which do not even have an equivalent in LibreOffice. And more importantly, Flash can FINALLY run with hardware acceleration so her youtube videos are not choppy.

3. I have a Linux machine, but none of the stuff inside are free or open: AMD's Catalyst drivers galore within, Office 2007 running on it via WINE, i take GPL-ed source tarballs, modify the code to suit my machine but never contribute the code back upstream (because the GPL lists freedom to do what I want with the code as a core freedom, and i am free to choose not to send back any improvements). And i don't use WiFi drivers provided by the kernel, but the binary Windows drivers wrapped under NDISwrapper.

4. I fix my own bugs (where possible) without reporting them upstream so that when other people experience the same issues i have ready ammunition to convince them to drop Linux and return back to Windows.

I have a much longer list but I'll just stop here; this short preview should be enough to piss someone off.

Comment

it includes a question about yet another post, and it's 3AM here.
              Sure I doesn't ask you to answer now, I just need to sure you notice it and maybe answer later. I hope.

mostly boiling down to "hey spend a bunch more money, OK ?"
              No, it boiling down to "please get my AMD hardware working". HTPC without HighProfile@5 support is useless this days. So to get HighProfile@5 video decoding work I should install Windows to HTPC, that looking like ridiculous idea for me, or ask AMD fix that. But ask AMD to fix that is very, very hard, since AMD tech. support doesn't understand what I talking about at all. So I ask you what we can do with that? HTPC by the way with official Linux support (Zotac) but it doesn't much help - FGLRX is still FGLRX on PC with official Linux support and without it.
              Maybe there is some good news about video decoding in R600g that solve my problem or legal situation around UVD support in R600g is still not clear?

There is one more link, but now about AMD & FOSS part of Linux: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42648 Nobody answer. If I ask AMD tech. support probably answer: install vendor (Acer) supported OS (Windows 7). May you please ask AMD kernel developers look into this bugreport?
              Last edited by RussianNeuroMancer; 29 January 2012, 06:41 AM.

Comment

@Sonadow

I know only very few wlan cards which are not supported via mainline kernel. What card do you use? Also maybe you see the possibilties of oss a little bit wrong. You are certainly not forced to release your patches when you only use it on your local pc, just when you want to distribute a binary of it. When your patches are good then it would just save your time when they are already upstream so you don't have to worry about it whenever you want to use newer code. I see no reason to keep changes private. I usually write scripts which can include patches as well, but scripts are by definition open source, no need for gpl

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                  Office 2007 running on it via WINE
                  Come one, your trolling was pretty good until you said WINE (FREE) and not CrossOver ("commercialized" as they call it).

Comment

There is one more link, but now about AMD & FOSS part of Linux: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42648 Nobody answer. If I ask AMD tech. support probably answer: install vendor (Acer) supported OS (Windows 7). May you please ask AMD kernel developers look into this bugreport?
                    I didn't think TurboCore used power states on Linux. I'm not at all sure about that but will ask; my understanding is that the absence of higher power states doesn't mean Turbo Core isn't able to run. I'm not sure how modern PM features like "staying within a power limit", "balancing load between CPU and GPU" interact with the power management subsystems on OSes but AFAIK a good part of this is done in the hardware without OS control.

On the other hand Turbo Core might still not be working even if this isn't the problem; I guess the core question is whether the bug is really trying to say "Turbo Core doesn't seem to be working" or "I would like to see power state entries for TurboCore frequencies" ?
                    Test signature

Comment

And now on a serious note, to all involved in the preinstalled Linux discussion, mostly Q:

I don't think AMD is ignoring any source of revenue, after all they do have the free driver initiative. It's just that there are many times more pirated Windows users then Linux users. I was expecting an answer like "computers with Freedos preinstalled are counted 75% pirated Windows and 25% Linux users, while those with Linux preinstalled are counted 50% pirated Windows and 50% Linux". I asked the question if buying a computer with Freedos preinstalled would help because I was also not excluding the possibility of Freedos being counted 100% pirated Windows. Of course, bridgman doesn't know the exact numbers and even if he did know he wouldn't be allowed to make them public.

BTW, if you think my percents above are exaggerated let me give you some statistics from the most popular retailer for laptops in my country:

Total number of laptop models in their offer: 553

Out those, 269 have Windows preinstalled, 212 have Freedos, 61 have Linux, while 11 have Mac OS X

Now, their top 10 best selling laptop models list consists of 9 with Freedos and 1 with Linux, while extending this list to top 20 best selling models shows 14 with Freedos, 5 with Linux and 1 with Windows.

Do you really think that I live in the country where Linux is on almost any laptop? I wish it was so, but I just live in a Eastern European country where pirating Windows is not such a big deal.

Comment

Working...
                      X