• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic A 14-Way Comparison Of NVIDIA vs. Nouveau Drivers

A 14-Way Comparison Of NVIDIA vs. Nouveau Drivers

Phoronix: A 14-Way Comparison Of NVIDIA vs. Nouveau Drivers

Back in September I provided the most comprehensive AMD Radeon Linux graphics comparison that took 28 graphics cards from all supported ATI/AMD Radeon product families and tested them under Linux using the latest Catalyst driver as well as the open-source Mesa/Gallium3D driver. In this article is a similar comparison on the NVIDIA side as I take most of the GeForce graphics cards at my disposal and try them under the NVIDIA binary Linux driver and the community-developed open-source "Nouveau" driver. Not only is the OpenGL performance looked at for multiple generations of NVIDIA hardware, but the thermal and power consumption is compared too. In certain OpenGL workloads, the open-source Linux driver is now faster than NVIDIA's own driver for select graphics cards in a fair comparison, but overall the NVIDIA blob still reigns supreme.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=16676

• Wyatt
    replied
    I wonder how much the change of test platforms affected the results? The AMD comparison was on Intel kit; this on AMD. I wouldn't imagine it was substantial, but I've been surprised before...

Leave a comment:

• felipevsw
    replied
    GT240

I`m kind of relieved because on my GT240 there`s the same problem with the Nouveau driver... at first I thought it was a problem on my hardware, but disabling the Nouveau (nouveau.modeset=0) and booting with basics driver and then installing the proprietary driver solved my problem, I realized it was not a problem with the hardware alone.
    Any ideas why that happens?

Great review! I was looking forward to it.

Leave a comment:

• AlbertP
    replied
    Originally posted by darktama View Post
    But, the general lack of stability is surprising to me. I'd have expected to see a similar trend upstream and in Fedora, however, it does not seem to be the case...
    Exactly! Nouveau on my 6600 GT AGP is rock solid with the kernel module from a recent Git and the X driver from Git of 2 months ago. But Michael has lots of problems with its PCIe version. Nouveau seems not to like Michael and/or Phoronix...

Leave a comment:

• Cyborg16
    replied
    "The 8400GS is passively cooled ..."

So how does it get 30?C hotter using nouveau on idle while using less power? Something's a bit wierd there.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisXY
    replied
    The first results are from the Unigine Heaven benchmark, which does not work with Mesa/Gallium3D, so it is limited to just using the binary Linux driver. It is technically possible to get it running if enabling S3TC support, floating-point textures, and the patented support, but even then, it is at a snail's pace
    That's maybe true for nouveau, but you said "Mesa/Gallium3D" generally.

HD 6550 mobile, mesa git:

Yes, that's an awfully small window and 8-12 fps are not much either but you can see it getting there.

Leave a comment:

• olbi
    replied
    Very nice article I have GeForce 6600GT on my machine and works very good. On the other is GeForce 9600GT. In plans I want buy GTS 520 ;]
    One question, how do you merge all these cards in one chart? I have tried merge two tests with Radeons cards, which one has AA x4 default and app do it on alone charts

Leave a comment:

• darktama
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    The difference between 8800GT and 9800GT GPUs is striking because it's basically the same GPU.

Michael, I smell something very fishy with your results, e.g. on this page the fps difference is fourfold which is kinda wrong.
    I for one find some of these "findings" a little odd also. Not just because some of the comparisons between cards show major differences where there really should be none/minimal. But, the general lack of stability is surprising to me. I'd have expected to see a similar trend upstream and in Fedora, however, it does not seem to be the case...

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    The difference between 8800GT and 9800GT GPUs is striking because it's basically the same GPU.

Michael, I smell something very fishy with your results, e.g. on this page the fps difference is fourfold which is kinda wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Nobu
    replied
    The overall power consumption of the system with the different graphics cards was always lower when using the Nouveau driver, but this may be due to the Nouveau driver not initializing all areas of the GPU and taking full advantage of the hardware[...]
    It could also be attributed to the CPU not being used as much, if that meant it were able to operate at a lower power state.

Obviously, the drivers will need to take more advantage of the GPU in order to close the gap further. I was going to say it would need to take more advantage of the CPU too, but then I realized the reason that the CPU might not be working as hard could be that it's waiting for the GPU.

Anyway, I'm quite happy and grateful for what the nouveau developers have been able to accomplish so far, and I can't wait to see what they do next. ^_^

Leave a comment:

Working...
X