Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau GeForce 400/500 Fermi On Linux 3.1

Phoronix: Nouveau GeForce 400/500 Fermi On Linux 3.1

Besides boosting the Intel Sandy Bridge performance, the Linux 3.1 kernel is also great for open-source graphics in that it has improved support for NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 "Fermi" graphics cards via the reverse-engineered Nouveau driver. The Linux kernel has already supported kernel mode-setting for these GPUs and then more recently there was 2D/X-Video acceleration as well as 3D acceleration when paired with the Nouveau Gallium3D "NVC0" driver. The accelerated support though has required manually extracting the graphics processor's microcode after the GPU was initialized by the proprietary driver. With the Linux 3.1 kernel, Nouveau can generate its own "FUC" microcode to circumvent this problem. In other words, there is now "out of the box" open-source support for NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 graphics cards.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"As expected."
    Now... do we actually have other thoughts about this?

Comment

Does it mean that all fermi gpu's will be supported? I'm waiting for NVC1 here

Comment

I'm more interested in Unigine benchmarks... currently looking for the best nVidia videocard (or a combination thereof, if SLI actually works on Linux) for the highest possible Unigine FPS today.

Comment

The patch for printing the correct clock values is only present in the master branch, so the displayed ones are wrong most likely.
          Usual boot clocks for nvc0 cards are about 1/10 of maximum - for example, 50 MHz core, 100 MHz memory on my GTX470.

Comment

Originally posted by kacperpl1 View Post
            Does it mean that all fermi gpu's will be supported? I'm waiting for NVC1 here
            We have the code (http://cgit.freedesktop.org/nouveau/...3c1742fd6cb285) please check if it will be available in Linux 3.1

Comment

I'm lazy now so I'll just wait till kernel 3.1 and nouvea with nvc1 gets to xorg-edgers ppa.

Comment

Michael, *talk* to us, your articles could be more informative as a result..

GT520 isn't entirely a Fermi chip, the graphics engine is, most of the rest (including modesetting) is new, and we suspect it's from "Kepler". I've written initial modesetting support for it already, it's sitting in nouveau git now. It's lacking DisplayPort support thus far, but only because my board doesn't have a DP connector.

And, suspend/resume should work just fine. It has on Fermi from the start. The only time it was expected to be broken was when using it with accel enabled *before* nouveau got its own fuc. If it doesn't work, it's a bug. And if you report it, we can fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by darktama View Post
                  Michael, *talk* to us, your articles could be more informative as a result..
                  What email address do you recommend I use for future in scenarios such as this?
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    What email address do you recommend I use for future in scenarios such as this?
                    The nouveau mailinglist. Or if your prefer not to do ask publically, mail myself or one of the other guys involved and we'll answer any questions the best we can!

Comment

Working...
                    X