Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Look At The Open-Source Nouveau With Fermi

Phoronix: Another Look At The Open-Source Nouveau With Fermi

Earlier this week was benchmarks of the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 "Fermi" with the open-source Nouveau driver. The reverse-engineered Nouveau support for the GeForce 400/500 series is incomplete and requires users to generate their own custom firmware before there is even 2D/3D/video acceleration support. The initial tests on the GeForce GTX 460 also yielded a disturbingly large performance difference between the open-source and closed-source NVIDIA drivers, where as with previous generations of NVIDIA GPUs the performance difference is more manageable. Here is another look at Nouveau for Fermi, but this time from a GeForce GTX 485M.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just to set things straight (again...): PM improvements in nouveau are expected for NV50-cards up to but probably not including G105M. Anything newer requires more work. Don't expect Fermi PM anywhere in the near future with nouveau.

Comment

This "Another Look At The Open-Source Nouveau With Fermi" is pointless because nouveau at no level manages new cards.

Comment

How come nouveau beats the blob 2-4x in Vdrift and Nexuiz?

Is there something missing from the figures at the monitor page?

Comment

like i wrote before , and it gets more clear with what said ryan gordon
          this driver is a "waste of time" in the sens that it will always lack some fundamentals like s3tc , despite it is sure that open source is the way to get the best .

i am really not against this project but as nvidia and ati are making very good drivers , may be something like ''linux ndiswrapper'' for others cards than network should be done first . it can have two way of studying windows drivers : directly under windows where it grabs code and under linux where it replicates it after adapting it to the os .
          it s perhaps something wine team should do

i think that when everyone os will be using a lot of free source code , then the "owned code in drivers" will become free as well . the linux os needs more users first , it can kill M$ like Firefox does it to ie ;']
          that s one of the greatest thing that can happen for the whole planet .

Comment

Originally posted by jcgeny View Post
            i am really not against this project but as nvidia and ati are making very good drivers
            Sadly, but they're making crap. Open Source drivers beats blobs in many areas. There aren't so many games on Linux right now, so more important is smooth desktop experience imho rather than super fast 3D. However, for better desktop experience something like vdpau is needed too and this hopefully will come soon.

Comment

Open drivers work in many ways better to closed ones, but I think they need more investment, specially some documentation from nvidia, if nvidia did the same as amd, then nouveau would be perfect.
              great and awesome developers + support from the inside of the company = great drivers.
              If nvidia doesn't want it then it's still a very good project, there will always be more people with hardware other than last generation than viceversa, so having a reliable, fast and open driver for this cards is awesome, I'd have no problem using nvidia closed driver (if I have a new gen card) until open source support works good.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                How come nouveau beats the blob 2-4x in Vdrift and Nexuiz?

Is there something missing from the figures at the monitor page?
                Vdrift goes all weird with pageflipping settings. Unfortunately Michael doesn't try changing that setting. It really does make all the difference on that game in terms of performance.

Comment

I stand corrected. Actually it looks like something fixed that issue since the last time I ran the vdrift benchmark.

OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

Comment

That being said there is something definitely wonky on the system that the articles are being reviewed on. The vDrift benches are definitely clashing with something on that system.

My results:

The article results from a GTX 460:

Comment

Working...
                    X