Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
    kwin really seems to have had issues...

Was it for you really unstable with gnome? Because on my HD 4550 and 4650 I have played warcraft3 in wine for a rather long time with r600c and now r600g...
    I pretty much never tried gnome. I just noticed a lot of gnome users not having problems, wondering what was wrong with my setup, or me.

Comment

Originally posted by HangFire View Post
      I pretty much never tried gnome. I just noticed a lot of gnome users not having problems, wondering what was wrong with my setup, or me.
      AFAIK none of the dev use KDE and we got report that for some reason KDE sux on the open driver, dunno why, it does somethings differently and hit a path in the driver that we give little love to.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that none of the AMD OSS driver writers use KDE, but I'm not surprised, either. After the KDE 3 to 4 debacle (releasing KDE 4 in major distros with major functionality missing), KDE simply doesn't have the following it used to. Their timing in introducing fancy special desktop transition effects at the same time major functionality was missing didn't endear many, either. It gave the impression that their priorities were all wrong.

Taking on all comers in the blogosphere when anyone dared complain didn't help, either.

Comment

Originally posted by HangFire View Post
          I'm sorry to hear that none of the AMD OSS driver writers use KDE, but I'm not surprised, either.
          He was talking in jest.

Comment

the nouveau drivers never worked for me

i have an nvidia 8400gs... bought it from a guy , was silent, i change it , mounted a fan...etc... the point is, in windows its working perfect. games, everything...in linux, with both nv driver or NVIDIA driver is working like a charm. even vesa. but nouveau .. it wont boot.the boot screen is working(plymouth) but X wont.. it is remaining black every distro i tryied is doing the samei tryed many distros (mostly ubuntu), since they make the switch to nouveau.none worked. greetings from Romania

Comment

Originally posted by lolren View Post
              every distro i tryied is doing the samei tryed many distros (mostly ubuntu), since they make the switch to nouveau.none worked. greetings from Romania
              openSUSE 11.4 comes with the 2.6.37 kernel which should offer better hardware support than the current Ubuntu kernel. Also, Fedora usually has good hardware support. Have you tried any of those?

Comment

Originally posted by lolren View Post
                i have an nvidia 8400gs... bought it from a guy , was silent, i change it , mounted a fan...etc... the point is, in windows its working perfect. games, everything...in linux, with both nv driver or NVIDIA driver is working like a charm. even vesa. but nouveau .. it wont boot.the boot screen is working(plymouth) but X wont.. it is remaining black every distro i tryied is doing the samei tryed many distros (mostly ubuntu), since they make the switch to nouveau.none worked. greetings from Romania
                Why don't you come on #nouveau (freenode) and tell us about it ?

Comment

yes, but .. the same

Originally posted by devius View Post
                  openSUSE 11.4 comes with the 2.6.37 kernel which should offer better hardware support than the current Ubuntu kernel. Also, Fedora usually has good hardware support. Have you tried any of those?
                  tryed them both, same effect

Comment

Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
                    Why don't you come on #nouveau (freenode) and tell us about it ?
                    i will, soon as i have a little free time... maybe tommorow

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                      He was talking in jest.
                      He also failed to use a smiley.

Comment

Working...
                      X