Nouveau's OpenGL Performance Approaches The NVIDIA Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    This sounds like someone who has never actually tried the radeon drivers.

Sorry if I'm wrong, but comparing them to VESA?

They're plenty fine for desktop effects and other light uses.

They're also fine for lightweight games, like most of what actually runs on Linux.

They can only run Q3 at 200fps instead of 400fps.
    Indeed I haven't tried radeon drivers. I need proper Linux support, so I buy nvidia.
    I'm sure the driver is fine for "light" usage, but that's like driving a steam engine in the era of the TGV.
    I'm glad you're getting 200fps in Q3, but how much does an open source score in Unigine's Heaven?
    And it may not have occurred to you, but pushing unfinished drivers down people's throats is also part of the reason gaming is suffering on linux, too. Who's going to develop games for a platform that barely supports OpenGL2.1 on 7 years old hardware?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      I'm glad you're getting 200fps in Q3, but how much does an open source score in Unigine's Heaven?
      I play games, not benchmarks.

Comment

I don't understand you, bug77. If you insist on highest video performance, nobody is stopping you from using blobs.
        A year ago, we were happy running gears on r600c, and today you want now heaven.
        Things do not work that. At lest programming.
        I am proud user of r600c@work, and nouveau@home(waiting for Llano with r600g), and nobody gonna turn me back to blobs.

Comment

If running a demo is really that important to you, then indeed the binary blobs are where it's at. Personally, I don't really care whether or not my computer can run a demo. That hardly makes it only suitable for a server.

Comment

It doesn't run Heaven, but since Heaven is just a demo, it's not a big deal.

Here, I run the following using a low-end HD4550 and r600g:

SweetHome3d
            OpenArena
            Nexuiz
            Compiz
            KWin
            Doom3 + RoE
            Quake4
            Warsow
            Penumbra games
            World of Goo
            Gish
            Aquaria
            LugaruHD
            Quake Live

and they are fine. But I'm not much of a gamer, other people run more stuff. Pretty much everything I've tried, works.

Also power saving is OK, Xvideo and xrandr are excellent (nvidia blob still doesn't support this), and the thing is stable.

I'm very glad that you refuse to look at open drivers because of your serious need for "Heaven" but please do not intentionally spread lies to confuse users, OK?

"VESA", what an idiot

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
              Here, I run the following using a low-end HD4550 and r600g:

Penumbra games
              They work now? Last time I tried they wouldn't start because of not supported OpenGL extensions.

Have to try when I get home... Can't wait.

Comment

Penumbra?

I've finished Overture and Black Plague, and got bored with Requiem about 2/3 through.

I think I was using r600c back then, but it should work with r600g too.

Or are you thinking about Amnesia: Dark Descent? That used to be broken, but is working now, according to the RadeonProgram wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by dredhammer View Post
                  i had planned on moving to ATI for the new version of ubuntu but seeing as how the 68xx/69xx series will require the closed binaries i'll wait until they get support in the opensource version.
                  The open source driver fully supports (2D, 3D, Xv) radeon 68xx asics as of 2.6.38 and initial support for 69xx just went into 2.6.39 (accel support for 69xx is still incomplete).

Comment

Indeed I haven't tried radeon drivers. I need proper Linux support, so I buy nvidia.
                    Oh, so you really are trolling, never mind.

Comment

Oh wow, I played it first with fglrx and the old config always produced
                      Init low level graphics
                      Setting video mode: 800 x 600 - 32 bpp
                      ERROR: Could not set display mode setting a lower one!
                      FATAL ERROR: Unable to initialize display!
                      on starting. With a new config it works. So forget what I said, it was not a missing OpenGL extension.

Comment

Working...
                      X