Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deanjo
    replied
    One other thing, try decoding at fullscreen (instead of scaling down)and watch your CPU usage.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Well a couple of things here. First of all BBB is not very demanding on bitrate, it is pretty easy on it in fact. You could try something that is a bit more demanding such as http://www.bealecorner.org/red/PFX_c...H.264-1080.mov (downscaled RED camera footage).

Second of all you are still pushing your processor to ramp up to it's fastest p-state. With video decode acceleration on a processor like yours it shouldn't even hit 2% on a system such as yours on one core in its power save state (which is what my 4200+ locked in @ 800 Mhz).

An atom for example is easily able to do high bitrate 1080p with proper video decode acceleration as well as some post processing as well (which is commonly used with vdpau on XBMC and such) while rarely hitting maybe 15% on a single core.

I'm not saying you couldn't muscle your way though without video decode acceleration with a beefy enough processor but it certainly consumes a hell of a lot more resources especially when you are doing things like "scrubbing" through HD footage while editing.

Leave a comment:

• Thatguy
    replied
    here ya go, 4 of the same h264 video being decoded at the same time, using only a vesa 2.0 renderer.

Not even a 2d accelerating driver. Just vesa and software

Granted it pushs the cpu pretty damn hard "running on one core" but it proves that it is easily doable.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Leave a comment:

• Thatguy
    replied
    this is with mp4 mp3 5.1 surround. just in case dumpt.com doesn't come back up, links on my above reply.

1 core and multicore testing all give the same result. very limited cpu useage.

Leave a comment:

• Thatguy
    replied
    I get the same result with h264

minimal CPu usegage system idling watching a video cpu usegae is about 10-155 for both, with a few apps open its around 30%. screencapture really pumps the cpu useage up when you snap the shot.

Leave a comment:

• Thatguy
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Any OS is that inefficient without video decoding acceleration.

Seriously ?

I mean I can decode mp4 1080p just fine with 50% of one 3.2 ghz cpu core no problem.

trust me it was tough trying to keep the screenshot utility from driving up cpu useage. I'd say it averaged around 30-40% on a single core.

Maybes its a linux problem ? I get similar results on windows.

I am gonna try h264 next.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by Thatguy View Post
    Is linux that inefficient at video playback that it needs to have video excelleration ??
    Any OS is that inefficient without video decoding acceleration.

Leave a comment:

• Thatguy
    replied
    Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
    I don?t agree with you here, the free driver should in mid-long time replace the proprietary drivers. So like in cheap linux routers they provide then much proffesional features that not everybody needs. But thats not neccecary the work that amd have to do but they have to provide the documents that people need to make a driver with no restriction, also if amd give no uvd details, there are other ways to accellerate video other gpu, that goal has to be possible. Because else in long run the driver not even is good enough for home-users. I fancied to arm/chips because they seem to provide long batterie livetime and video-acceleration, but 3d and this video-acceleration is not in a free driver. So Arm is dead for me now. Because in 2-3 years or even faster? I will can play videos with 1080p in linux (without a 8core cpu) with high enough fps. Or then someday maybe 2560p or something like that.
    That had to be reachable else I revert my viewpoint and wait till someone provides me with that possibillity in a free driver. Dont get me wrong I do not demand it today to have it now, but I want in someday in the future, because else that specs or driver would not be free, its then not more or less free than the nv-driver because you only get a part that allows you to do x y but not z.

Is linux that inefficient at video playback that it needs to have video excelleration ??

Leave a comment:

• blackiwid
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    That's logistically impossible. The three major vendors have something like 300 people working on their closed-source drivers.
    Thats only half true, first they work not together, so you have only 100 who works on one of them. in opensource espacialy with gallium3d, much work is done much state trackers which work with all the free drivers. And even with the old non-gallium3d drivers there was much hardware-independend code there which could use all drivers.
    The open-source drivers are developed by maybe 30-odd people, several of whom unpaid.
    you forget here one thing unpayed people who do this have another motivation instead of money and they know they do good stuff, so they are better motivated, that free software has ofter better quality we have seen in the past. Because they dont have deadlines etc, they dont need to make shortcuts to get stuff done and get then often unmaintable code. AND we see today that the quality (not the speed) of the free ati driver is better then the blob for linux.

It might sound harsh but the open drivers will never catch up to the blobs as things stand. Which is fine, since what they need to do is become good enough for the average user.
    we have TODAY first benchmarks in fullhd of games where the open driver is faster then the blob from amd. The point is to replace the blob, why would we do this in the first place? Linux is coming maybe not in 5-10 months but each year a bit, its a other question lets say the open driver gets support for accellerated video, is maybe in newer games not that fast, but is in any other way faster and better then the proprietary one, why would amd want then split most of there developers to a unstable nearly unusable binary blob that is not included in the kernel and for most distros in the latest stabe not usable? It would be a resource wastage to do that. Nobody with a clear mind did install fglrx on a r300-r500 card because they all lost more that they get (even if freedom is not the question) then amd stopped supporting it further with the closed drivers. That will happen each time faster with the newer chips, too.

The big problem was/is that we had to reinvant nearly the whole X-core after the fork from Xfree86 and a long time with no free drivers, but this environment is now here and getting even better. The progress is very good on the free driver, the bazaar wins in long term always against the catedral.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    [QUOTE=BlackStar;169048]With this mindset, Windows offers even better performance and features - so why not use that?

(Yes, it really does: better video acceleration, faster 2d, faster 3d (compare Unigine DX11 vs OGL), more games, more applications. Why use Linux?)

Better video acceleration, nope, vdpau works fine. Faster 2D, feels identical here. faster 3d, nope, (I did actually compare Unigine, sorry to disappoint you. http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...196#post157196), more games, not something I actively do, more applications, sure there is but only a couple that require me to actually run windows.

Why use linux, for me it is the development tools, the ability to customize and strip down, the performance is on par, it is free as in beer, and does almost everything that I want to do when combined with closed proprietary apps. In other words 'it works' for my tasks.

Ignored is too strong a word. Getting correct 2d and 3d acceleration is more important than video (that is being worked on, btw).
    I wouldn't say ignored is to strong of a word. They choose to work on other items. As far as video support being "worked on" that is an extreme stretch of the phrase.

They may but noone is buying a $10000 application to run it on an unsupported OS and uncertified hardware.
    You would be surprised. I know of 4 engineering outfits just off hand for example that have purchased Pro/E and are running them on consumer class cards. It works out fine for them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X