Another Look At The Latest Nouveau Gallium3D Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    We can still talk about heathkit though right?
    Isn't linux the new heathkit anyways ? You kind of build it yourself ? One of the essential problems of linux IMHO.

anyways I think I have a CB radio kit with a amplifier " thats way above legal wattage" somewhere. I'll dig around and post pics if I still have it.

bring on the heathkits.

Comment

Heh, I have a slightly illegal CB booster somewhere in the garage too.

Comment

Originally posted by Thatguy View Post
        actually gallium most likely won't have the capabilitys I am looking for. Plus I want to completely avoid the middleware becuase I'll be needing everybit of the cpu and the gpu to do what I am looking to do.
        so but AMD provides you most free stuff of all the competitors. So live with that or build your own gpu. Even if you want more from AMD buying cards from them will maybe wake up nvidia if they loose market share that there go someday even more open than AMD is today then you become over this detour what you want.

But I have a feeling that you if you not even know what gallium is and don?t know that we have 3d support for several years in r300 (like forever) and since a while also with r600. (inclusively r700?).
        The driver gets slowly matured, so prette good power-management, more 3d speed and other stuff is there if you install from upstream.
        I am really happy about this. So you dont need this I know, but instead of saying that you need nothing what most people want, how about saying what you need that would maybe spare some time.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
          Even if you want more from AMD buying cards from them will maybe wake up nvidia if they loose market share that there go someday even more open than AMD is today then you become over this detour what you want.
          I doubt very much that sales lost due to lack of open specs hurt nvidia in any measurable way. They probably lose or gain sales more from the performance in the latest AAA GPU killer app or game.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            OK, looks like someone is going to have to stand up for what's right...

NO MORE DAMN CAR ANALOGIES
            I really really did find it browsing, NOT searching for it. But here it comes:
            Cars are evil, right? But what if they ran on hydrogen, did 300 miles per gallon, were leased rather than owned, and were produced under an open source business model...

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
            I second that...why this went way off topic is beyond me. Now why talk about AMD when this is about the Nouveau driver?
            Sorry, next time we will troll on topic instead of productive offtopic.

So, if you find my idea a time waste, np. Let our bogatyri finish 2000 people job.

All without our financial support. Opensource is so good, it will manage it without money.

Comment

I doubt very much that sales lost due to lack of open specs hurt nvidia in any measurable way. They probably lose or gain sales more from the performance in the latest AAA GPU killer app or game.
              every bit helps, lets say amd goes bankrupt or so (not that likely) then you dont have even that level of open drivers any more.
              lets say 2% of all people want such drivers. thats something to beginn with. Lets say it the other way, buying nvidia hardware will not help such goals at all.
              But do you really not want drivers where you can use your desktop for free? for what do you want such gpu to calculate wether or what?

Comment

I agree, at least so far. If Dell or some other OEM decides to go with ATI for that reason, however, the story could change very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                  But do you really not want drivers where you can use your desktop for free?
                  The performance hit and lack of features is too high of a price for me. I don't purchase new hardware so it can be out performed by a 5 generation old card with blobs. If I wanted that kind of performance I would have never purchased the new card in the first place.

Comment

Ok if that is more important playing games in linux or what do you do using blender or what? that should work with the open driver well? then having a nearly perfect (except speed) open driver where you dont have to manage seperatly a binary blob then go ahead buy a nvidia card.

For me its great because before the acquisition of ati from amd there was no open drivers at all except for very old r300 cards (till x800 series or maybe x1800?) except for vesa or the crappy 2d nv driver, and Intel but Intel have good drivers but crappy gpus, so I better have cheaper (internal) good gpus with slow drivers, then crappy interal gpus with good drivers, because the drivers can get faster the gpu-hardware not. And Intel is mostly more expensive. Also amd has more often hdmi/displayport support...

But if you want to play under linux or do some other task? that needs that 3d speed go ahead and buy a nvidia card. I want the freedom to test which linux with alpha distro which whatever when I want to, not asking if a company compiles from time to time with some luck me a new driver that works, and maybe have to seperatly install it, I dont want a Taintet (unfree) linux

Comment

• Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                      Ok if that is more important playing games in linux or what do you do using blender or what? that should work with the open driver well? then having a nearly perfect (except speed) open driver where you dont have to manage seperatly a binary blob then go ahead buy a nvidia card.
                      Have you ever tried using Maya, Pro/E, or any GPGPU with free drivers? I won't even go into video decoding.

In short, if you wish to purchase a card for future support that may if your lucky achieve 50-60% of the speed of a blob, sacrifice features, decreased efficiency, 3-5 years after your initial purchase then all the more power to you. Not everybody has that money to waste.

Comment

Working...
                      X