Some Good & Bad News For The Nouveau Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 0e8h View Post
    It goes to show that the programming is so poor for the non-proprietary drivers as they should be lighting speeds ahead whilst they aren't doing all the features. Other words if a open source driver is only doing vectors and the proprietary-driver is doing vectors and buttering bread, then the former should be faster.

The non-proprietary coders must be using bad kernel techniques, or not using proper hardware abilities.

Get the vector speeds first, then start adding the buttered bread later else your project is pointless if it's going to be always slow!!!
    Maybe the point of opensource drivers is not speed.

However, about the conclusion of the article, compraring relative speed between ati and nvidia opensource vs blob implementation is an apple vs orange comparison and no conclusion can be taken.

Comment

It doesn't appear to me that the Nouveau driver is doing any better than the radeon one, it's just that you benchmarked slower cards so the CPU limitations you are hitting with both just appear to be more of a problem on the faster cards.

Comment

your project is pointless if it's going to be always slow!!!
        You spouted an awful lot of nonsense here, but i'm just going to respond to this one point. If the driver is just fast enough to display a composited desktop like Compiz/Kwin and can do nothing more complicated than that, it's already an extremely useful project. Speed is most definitely less important than other things, like stability, for example.

And if you don't like the driver, then don't use it. No one's forcing you.

Comment

It goes to show that the programming is so poor for the non-proprietary drivers as they should be lighting speeds ahead whilst they aren't doing all the features. Other words if a open source driver is only doing vectors and the proprietary-driver is doing vectors and buttering bread, then the former should be faster.

The non-proprietary coders must be using bad kernel techniques, or not using proper hardware abilities.

Get the vector speeds first, then start adding the buttered bread later else your project is pointless if it's going to be always slow!!!
          Have you ever wrote a graphical driver? Because you appear to have no clue about it.
          How are the nouveau devs supposed to make a performant driver without any proper documentation? Basically there's no deterministic way to foresee the performance of certain code paths over others, it's a matter of trial and error, which requires massive testing time.
          Now, as far as I know, apart from one dev, all nouveau driver work is done by volunteers, so feel free to contribute your performance improvements that you for sure keep in your private branch...

Comment

Since it's bad analogy time, let me put it like this.
            Nouveau is still in development, like a baby is in development.
            In this analogy what you are saying to the baby that just have learned to walk is,
            "You're slow walking is pointless, go back to crawling around fast."

Comment

Great news. If there was G3D video decoding in existence, I would be happy with this driver as it is. Assuming I have to carefully buy specific NVIDIA chip which is already stable with Nouveau, but thats not big problem.

Comment

Some of you guys are absolutely ^$%ing insane.

50% of the Nvidia blob performance is not good. It's remarkable, it's brilliant, and it's more than anybody dared hope for.

Comment

I mean, a couple of guys tapping in the dark reverse engineering multi-million transistor hardware have achieved 50% of the performance that 100+ paid developers got after years with full docs and specs and hardware.

Are you even reading what you're writing?

If you want better Nouveau performance, pressure Nvidia to release specs and fund developers. Thankless bastards.

Comment

Does it look like it to anyone else that the driver might not be scaling well with faster cards possibly still being CPU limited like the radeon driver?

I would imagine this would be even more noticable on slower CPUs... might be good to benchmark on multiple CPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                      Some of you guys are absolutely ^$%ing insane.

50% of the Nvidia blob performance is not good. It's remarkable, it's brilliant, and it's more than anybody dared hope for.
                      I think part of it is the scalability. It doesn't scale very well past a few shader cores. I am not saying this can't be fixed, but I think that is probably the largest problem with Gallium3D as of now (or any opensource graphics driver.) I think once it can scale properly, the driver will do much, much better. BTW, I agree 100%.

Comment

Working...
                      X