Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Now Supports Page-Flipping, Sync-To-VBlank

Phoronix: Nouveau Now Supports Page-Flipping, Sync-To-VBlank

Recently the Nouveau power management code emerged and we recently helped out with timing management, but that's not all of the work being done at the moment to this community-driven open-source driver for NVIDIA graphics cards. Committed today to the xf86-video-nouveau DDX driver is support for DRI2 page-flipping and sync-to-vblank support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A tiny bit out of topic but does anyone knows how to enable page flipping in intel 915 driver ? From the log it says that its supported but is forcefully disabled.

Is that the case with xorg-edgers repo too ?

Thanks in advance

Comment

This is really good stuff. I'd like to hear from anyone testing it. A video of the monitor would be really cool too. I would like to test this very soon.

Comment

Dont see any performance improvments...

Comment

vblank and waiting for vline only drops performance on other drivers in first person shooter games as driver caps FPS to display refresh rate or half refresh rate!
          Too bad, vblank_mode=0 option does not make difference for fullscreen applications (tested on r300g).

Comment

Originally posted by xeros View Post
            Too bad, vblank_mode=0 option does not make difference for fullscreen applications (tested on r300g).
            Are you using close to Git kernel/DRM? Back at XDS I told Alex that I thought vblank_mode broke again for Radeon, but he wasn't sure if it did and I haven't had the time to try since getting back from Oktoberfest / San Diego, but hopefully it's fixed for 2.6.37...
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Are you using close to Git kernel/DRM? Back at XDS I told Alex that I thought vblank_mode broke again for Radeon, but he wasn't sure if it did and I haven't had the time to try since getting back from Oktoberfest / San Diego, but hopefully it's fixed for 2.6.37...
              I'm testing mesa/dri from xorg-edgers/radeon ppa (compiled from git) but unfortunately I'm stuck with 2.6.35-22-generic kernel in Kubuntu 10.10 as the mainline ppa kernels doesn't have usefull for me drivers.

Thanks for info, I thought the problem is ignored by developers as it's intented behaviour because the current working mode is better for video playback.

Comment

Originally posted by xeros View Post
                vblank and waiting for vline only drops performance on other drivers in first person shooter games as driver caps FPS to display refresh rate or half refresh rate!
                But, if the game is running at your display refresh rate, then it looks significantly smoother than it would with vsync off even if it were running at 500fps.

Comment

Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
                  But, if the game is running at your display refresh rate, then it looks significantly smoother than it would with vsync off even if it were running at 500fps.

For fast moving games, like first person shooters, you can really tell the difference between 60fps and +200fps. When the game gets capped at 60fps it becomes slow and less responsive. Sure, it looks nicer, but the gameplay itself turns to crap.

Comment

Working...
                  X