No announcement yet.

Nouveau With Mesa 7.9 Is Better, But Still Slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boy are the editing rules irritating in this forum!
    I know many people have mentioned this before me and it's strange it hasn't been fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
      Sorry, I am seriously confused. Wasn't Gallium a modern replacement for Mesa? This article seems to be about current Gallium, not current Mesa, right? (I know I may be totally off, I am not a graphics guru though I love to keep track of where things are heading)
      Discussion of Mesa / Gallium3D components for Linux and other operating systems. This includes open-source 3D hardware drivers, state trackers, OpenCL, OpenGL, Vulkan, and SPIR-V support.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        In other words, after like 3 years (after ATI started the open-source initiative) neither ATI nor Nouveau (not to mention Intel) have fast and complete open-source OpenGL 2.1 support, not to mention 3.x.

I say it's gonna take another 3 years until we got reliable and fast OpenGL 2.1 support but even today there's many folks already learning the new 3.x so in like 3 years the "fast and reliable" 2.1 version is gonna be too little too late. Not grumpy, it's true.
        Patches welcome.

Also, 3.x will be postponed until some patent issues are resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
          Patches welcome.

OpenGL hah! more like PatentedGL amirite?

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
            Patches welcome.

If someone posted a patch that enabled full OGL 3.0, would it not be NACKed because of your second sentence?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
              In other words, after like 3 years (after ATI started the open-source initiative) neither ATI nor Nouveau (not to mention Intel) have fast and complete open-source OpenGL 2.1 support, not to mention 3.x.

I say it's gonna take another 3 years until we got reliable and fast OpenGL 2.1 support but even today there's many folks already learning the new 3.x so in like 3 years the "fast and reliable" 2.1 version is gonna be too little too late. Not grumpy, it's true.
              We do have driver that support 2.1 (r600c + r600g, i think r300g does too to some extent). They are not as fast as closed driver but are slowly getting faster. And yes they still have issue with complex shader but it's slowly being fix. The 2.1 -> 3.x transition will be easier than 1.5 -> 2.x as it's mostly about shader and couple of extensions, so it should be faster to get there. Same apply to 3.x -> 4.x it's mostly removing old stuff and adding more shader capabilities. Bottom line right now the key to newer GL is shader support and thanks to work done by Intel folks and others we are slowly getting solid foundation for shader support in open source driver.

Comment

Originally posted by luap View Post
                When the system hangs, it won't boot properly unless I unplug the power cord and wait for a while - seems vaguely like a thermal problem. I'm running an NV44A fanless card.
                Nothing to do with thermal I believe. GPU is put in hung state and GPU doesn't totally reset on reboot! To put GPU in totally "fresh" state, you have to power it down for a moment (as you already discovered). It's known for other devices as well (like WiFi cards).

Comment

Originally posted by glisse View Post
                  Same apply to 3.x -> 4.x it's mostly removing old stuff and adding more shader capabilities.
                  Neither 3.x nor 4.x removes any stuff. The Core profile removes stuff, which hardly anyone uses. The majority of people use the Compatibility profile, which has everything since GL1.0.

Originally posted by Jecos View Post
                  OpenGL hah! more like PatentedGL amirite?
                  Open in OpenGL does not mean open source. It means that anyone can contribute to the specification if he/she pays some money to Khronos, unlike proprietary standards which are controlled by one company. Also you can download the spec for free in PDF, and you don't have to pay royalties for making your own OpenGL implementation (except for some patents).

Comment

Any word on the patent side of things yet? Was it at all discussed during XDS?

Comment

It's still rather pathetic that an "open" standard requires you to pay for patents or get sued. That's not open, in any sense.

Comment

Working...
                      X