Benchmarks Of The Latest Nouveau Gallium3D Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    The funny thing is that this is exactly what the Windows crowd was telling me 10 years ago.

And exactly what the Internet Explorer crowd was telling me 5 years ago.

And what MS Office crowd is still telling me today.

I didn't care then, and I don't care now. If the games are a bit slower, I can live with it. I don't use Linux to play Windows games, I use it because it is a free platform developed cooperatively for the most part, and without shoving DRM and proprietary stuff in my face.
    Wise talking.

Anyway, does all nouveau 3D code come from reverse engineering?

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post
      Wise talking.

Yes, I agree with the wise talking bit. And yes, as far as I know it is all reverse engineering. Which is why I came here to post in response to the article:

It is unfortunate that the Nouveau Gallium3D driver still is not in a better standing even after being in development
      for years and that it is not receiving as much love as the ATI Gallium3D driver,

The reason is one and simple, it is much easier to develop for Intel or AMD because they both open the specs and also contribute actual code.Of course this is implied in most of the posts above mine.

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post
        I suppose the oldest bits might also be from Utah-GLX code.

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
          it is much easier to develop for Intel or AMD because they both open the specs and also contribute actual code.
          And still the intel driver is pure shit. I'm still waiting for a kernel which does not enable tv-out output during boot...
          I also had tons of freezes with intel and xorg-server-1.8, while the new xf86-video-intel-2.12 does not work with any released libdrm version.
          Nouveau driver is awesome considering they have no specs.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Intel had good drivers and crappy graphics cards.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
              The funny thing is that this is exactly what the Windows crowd was telling me 10 years ago.

And exactly what the Internet Explorer crowd was telling me 5 years ago.

And what MS Office crowd is still telling me today.

I didn't care then, and I don't care now. If the games are a bit slower, I can live with it. I don't use Linux to play Windows games, I use it because it is a free platform developed cooperatively for the most part, and without shoving DRM and proprietary stuff in my face.
              I agree. The open source AMD drivers are great for everything but running games in Wine. They can run almost any native Linux game just fine like UT2k4 and Doom 3, but not Unigine.
              KMS and the other technologies that integrate easily into Xorg and the kernel are really nice. Not having to reinstall the nvidia driver after a kernel update is awesome. Back when I used an nvidia it always sucked to reboot into a new kernel and then remember that X won't work anymore. The nvidia driver also used to show an Nvidia splash scree when X started (probably still does), and that was pretty annoying even if it could be disabled.

For the most part I don't even need 3d when I use Linux. I just browse the web, read email, and write code and tinker around with my Gentoo system.

Whenever I feel like running a Windows game, I use Windows as much as I hate doing it. I used to be able to play games with wine when I had an Nvidia card, but it was a pain to do and wasn't really worth the effort anyway. I really hope wine gets better, but it's still pretty buggy.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                I suppose the oldest bits might also be from Utah-GLX code.
                None of it is from Utah. The oldest bits were written for the newer cards, code for older cards came later.

Comment

@Michael,
                  Was Compiz usable with Noveau? Or is that too early still?

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                    @Michael,
                    Was Compiz usable with Noveau? Or is that too early still?
                    compiz isn't that demanding unless you enabled loads of effects... it has been working on nouveau for quite some time I think on 7xxx+ ... I think the older cards used to work but the driver was rewritten for gallium3d and I'm not sure if the support for them has been added back in.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
                      Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Intel had good drivers and crappy graphics cards.
                      Pretty much.

The choice between Intel and Nvidia is really the choice between having a stable system vs having good opengl performance.

With Nvidia proprietary drivers your shoveling Megabytes worth of Windows driver code into your kernel with a thin shim to make it compatible with Linux.

With Open source drivers you have a relative small DRM portion in the kernel that creates a stable ABI/API for userspace drivers and libraries were the bulk of the driver action goes on.

The biggest draw-back to OSS approach, currently, is that X windows still wants to control the hardware and you depend on X to provide 2D acceleration. Which is something that is slowing being fixed.

With Nvidia you are replacing big hunks of Xorg with proprietary nvidia code. (they have their own 2D acceleration stuff, for example)

Comment

Working...
                      X