Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Is Power Hungry On Desktops Too

Phoronix: Nouveau Is Power Hungry On Desktops Too

This morning we talked about the real need for Nouveau power management as with a notebook bearing a NVIDIA GPU this open-source NVIDIA driver can easily consume 10~30% more power than using NVIDIA's official binary driver. While power management is more important on the mobile side, a quick test was carried out on a desktop too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael,

What's up with the rounded cables? :S

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
      Michael,

What's up with the rounded cables? :S
      They're nice, priced well, etc. Got a problem with rounded tables?
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        They're nice, priced well, etc. Got a problem with rounded tables?
        Tables? You meant Cables, right? *just in case we might misunderstand each-other*

The problem with rounded cables is that they tend to easily break, causing transfer speed to be incorrect. I heared about interference too, but I can't site/find any credible source for this.

But I don't understand why someone who tests a lot of hardware would use rounded cables, unless it's your production system.

However I have realy bad experience with rounded cables in terms of quality;
        1) They break
        2) Plugging/ unplugging these things are a bitch
        3) They do not bend that well (got better airflow results with flat ones, if done right)

I don't know... It's never advised to use these things by anyone I have spoken and I have realy bad experiences with the physical quality of these things.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
          Tables? You meant Cables, right? *just in case we might misunderstand each-other*

The problem with rounded cables is that they tend to easily break, causing transfer speed to be incorrect. I heared about interference too, but I can't site/find any credible source for this.

But I don't understand why someone who tests a lot of hardware would use rounded cables, unless it's your production system.

However I have realy bad experience with rounded cables in terms of quality;
          1) They break
          2) Plugging/ unplugging these things are a bitch
          3) They do not bend that well (got better airflow results with flat ones, if done right)

I don't know... It's never advised to use these things by anyone I have spoken and I have realy bad experiences with the physical quality of these things.
          Whoops, thought you said tables to begin with... Wasn't sure why someone would have a problem with L-shaped desks.

I rarely ever use any IDE drives, but when I do it's usually rounded cables and never have any problems.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
          X