Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

April fools!

Comment

Well, I was more referring to driver blobs, but alright. Yikes, that's a lot of commercial proprietary software. All within a Linux environment? Can't see the advantage of a GNU userland with a Linux kernel supporting that weight of software, but alright. Whatever boats your float!

Comment

Originally posted by synthil View Post
        Well, I was more referring to driver blobs, but alright. Yikes, that's a lot of commercial proprietary software. All within a Linux environment? Can't see the advantage of a GNU userland with a Linux kernel supporting that weight of software, but alright. Whatever boats your float!

I didn't even mention the apps I regularly use in wine.

Comment

It's really no different then running a opensource app (or drivers) on a closed system, you use what works best for you.

Comment

Purity contest:

Code:
            VRMS(1)

NAME
            vrms - report of installed non-free software

SYNOPSIS
            vrms [OPTION] ...

DESCRIPTION
            This program began as an attempt to create a "virtual Richard
            M. Stallman" for Debian GNU/Linux.  Thus the choice of name.
            Code:
            yotambien@debian~$ vmrs
                           Non-free packages installed on debian

celestia-common-nonfree   Non-free datafiles for Celestia, a real-time visual sp
            firmware-ipw2x00          Binary firmware for Intel Pro Wireless 2100, 2200 and
            firmware-linux            Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kerne
            firmware-linux-nonfree    Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kerne
            ion3                      tiling tabbed window manager designed for keyboard use
            opera                     The Opera Web Browser
            ozerocdoff                An improved ZeroCD switching utility
            skype                     Skype
            sun-java5-bin             Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 (architectu
            sun-java5-jre             Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 (architectu
            sun-java6-bin             Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (architecture
            sun-java6-jre             Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (architecture
            unrar                     Unarchiver for .rar files (non-free version)
            usb-modeswitch            mode switching tool for controlling "flip flop" USB de
            virtualbox-guest-addition guest additions iso image for VirtualBox

Contrib packages installed on debian

ion3-scripts              user-contributed add-ons to the Ion 3 window manager
            mathematica-fonts         Installer of Mathematica fonts
            msttcorefonts             transitional dummy package
            ttf-mathematica4.1        transitional dummy package
            ttf-mscorefonts-installer Installer for Microsoft TrueType core fonts
            Code:
             15 non-free packages, 0.8% of 1769 installed packages.
              5 contrib packages, 0.3% of 1769 installed packages.
            It doesn't pick up manual installations such as GoogleEarth, Acroread, an old VMware VM I've got lying around and some scientific package. All in all, I'm pretty pure. About 98.7% pure according to (virtual) Richard Stallman ; )

Comment

WINE? Now that is hilarious. I'd hardly say Wine works 'best' for anyone. It's a compromise, borne out of open-source adventurism, one that works well for most people, but certainly not 'best'.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                And in perspective people that have done more then either one of them put together also come from a proprietary background, Gates and Wozniak.
                In my world, the "how" and "why" are not irrelevant when judging somebodys work. I'm not denying anybodys right to personal gain; yet, somehow, I value selfless contributions higher.

Comment

what a load of crap those words about "shades of grey" stripped of context at best, especially, told right after Linus himself forced nouveau developers to put their work into kernel promptly, starting all that.

probably he was really pissed about people who bug-report from "tainted kernel"

and if you want to get all juicy bits from F/OSS community and crack it with some proprietary binary on all system layers - you are not a progmatic with "effective system", you are hypocrite with personalized cracked up system clinged up by nails and shivel

Comment

Originally posted by trepo View Post
                    I value selfless contributions higher.

Maybe you should look at their foundations then and what they have done with their fortunes.

Comment

Originally posted by dfx. View Post
                      what a load of crap those words about "shades of grey" stripped of context at best, especially, told right after Linus himself forced nouveau developers to put their work into kernel promptly, starting all that.

probably he was really pissed about people who bug-report from "tainted kernel"

and if you want to get all juicy bits from F/OSS community and crack it with some proprietary binary on all system layers - you are not a progmatic with "effective system", you are hypocrite with personalized cracked up system clinged up by nails and shivel
                      The "shades of grey" was not taken out of context at all. Linus referred to that when several kernel devs decided to try a coo and force Linus to completely blacklist any blob driver. Thankfully his more rational stand still holds.

Comment

Working...
                      X