NVIDIA Drops Their Open-Source Driver, Refers Users To VESA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by waucka View Post
    Personally, I prefer a driver that I can fix myself if need be over one that has more features, but leaves me SOL if it breaks. YMMV.
    And how many patches have you submitted to freedesktop?

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Linus himself admits that linux's future lies in a shade of grey. I don't give a rats ass what that nutbar Stallman's views are.
      Neither of them gives a rats ass what your views are. Both of them have done more for the world than you, I, or anybody else in this forum. (I'm willing to apologise to anybody who thinks he/she's done more and proves it...). Linux's future lies wherever the community takes it, whether you, I, or anybody else likes it or not. Not that _you_ will take it anywhere...

Comment

Bitten by the 1 min. limit:

And I'm willing to apologise to you, if you do take it somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by trepo View Post
          Neither of them gives a rats ass what your views are. Both of them have done more for the world than you, I, or anybody else in this forum. (I'm willing to apologise to anybody who thinks he/she's done more and proves it...). Linux's future lies wherever the community takes it, whether you, I, or anybody else likes it or not. Not that _you_ will take it anywhere...
          And in perspective people that have done more then either one of them put together also come from a proprietary background, Gates and Wozniak.

Comment

Then use their software. What's the point of using Linux, a clearly inferior solution to proprietary ones such as Windows 7 and Mac OS X?

Linux is considered a cheap, superior solution where server platforms are concerned. Easy to deploy, secure, very light, and gets things done. But on a desktop platform? It's a liability.

I love Linux, I love the open-source community (you're right, which Stallman has provided a hell of a lot for, even if he is rather deranged). If I wanted the best desktop experience (and indeed the best 3D experience), then I'd migrate to Apple software. If I wanted the best 3D gaming experience, then I'd migrate to Windows. But I don't.

How can you maintain this glorification of proprietary software while still clinging to Linux? Why use desktop-oriented FOSS at all?

Comment

Originally posted by synthil View Post
              Then use their software. What's the point of using Linux, a clearly inferior solution to proprietary ones such as Windows 7 and Mac OS X?

Linux is considered a cheap, superior solution where server platforms are concerned. Easy to deploy, secure, very light, and gets things done. But on a desktop platform? It's a liability.

I love Linux, I love the open-source community (you're right, which Stallman has provided a hell of a lot for, even if he is rather deranged). If I wanted the best desktop experience (and indeed the best 3D experience), then I'd migrate to Apple software. If I wanted the best 3D gaming experience, then I'd migrate to Windows. But I don't.

How can you maintain this glorification of proprietary software while still clinging to Linux? Why use desktop-oriented FOSS at all?
              I use them all because I realize that all have their strengths and weaknesses. There is no one perfect solution. I do however expect a piece of hardware that I buy works at it's fullest capability the day I buy it and not some unspecified time down the road for less then optimal performance. One of the sweetest combinations to achieving that performance is linux with blobs where philosophy and licenses don't create bottlenecks.

Comment

If you want a quite best 3D experience then OpenGL is best 3D performance of experience and I have seen the demo benchmark on OpenGL test is sure beats directx in general performance, OpenGL gives very smoothly movement of rendering since that OpenGL is more lots of stable in regarding.

Comment

It is no good move from nv to drop the oss driver completely. Maybe currently when only 2 highend cards are available it is not that important, but specially when the complete series will be fermi based the user experience of live systems will degrade when the full monitor res could not be used. Hopefully the nouveau project will be able to analyze fermi soon. Kanotix usually allows binary driver install even in live mode, but at least modesetting should work.

Comment

I still reckon Linux should be treated as a philosophy. I'm sure you don't have time for wishy-washy sentiment, but desktop Linux loses much of its purpose when compared to proprietary solutions on utilitarian merits alone. You have to admit that. If you're earning by the hour in a 12-hour a day job, you'd almost certainly rather shell out the $80 for well-configured Apple desktop software, than fiddle about with Ubuntu or Fedora.

And I would also say, as with my computer, that your Linux machine almost certainly uses only one binary blob driver, and that's Nvidia's. The rest of my hardware is certainly supported only by the kernel and GPL firmware. Binary blobs just aren't fashionable.

Comment

And I would also say, as with my computer, that your Linux machine almost certainly uses only one binary blob driver, and that's Nvidia's. The rest of my hardware is certainly supported only by the kernel and GPL firmware. Binary blobs just aren't fashionable.
                      I've got quite a few blobs in use every day on my linux desktop. VMWare, Maya, Nero, Pro/E wildfire, Shake, commercial games (NWN still rocks), etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X