X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apopas
    replied
    Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
    I am talking from the perspective of a normal desktop user not a deluded fanboy like yourself.
    You are saying Linux lags behind windows because the out of the box experience is better in the latter. And I'm asking since when this is true since you have to install the proprietary nvidia drivers in windows while with Linux we have a solution with potential since Nouveau and Gallium comes steadily to fruition.
    Keep in mind on thing. Most of the users in forums like this one know few things more than the average user about computers and can notice who is a real fanboy.

Leave a comment:

• bugmenot
    replied
    Originally posted by Apopas View Post
    HUH? Since when you don't need to install the same NVidia's binary drivers in windows? At least in Linux we have a free driver with great potential...
    I am talking from the perspective of a normal desktop user not a deluded fanboy like yourself.

Leave a comment:

• portets43
    replied
    Well thats useless then, the majority of Linux users use Compiz and a I would say that all people with NVIDIA hardware would be using Compiz also because of the smooth Compiz experience in NVIDIA's binary driver.

It just shows you that Ubuntu/Linux still has a long way to go to provide equivalent quality and depth we see in Windows 7/OSX.
    just use fedora 13 instead of ubuntu 10.04, nouveau 3d out of the box.

Originally posted by howlingmadhowie View Post
    correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought that windows only has extremely poor support of nvidia cards, certainly much poorer than the nouveau driver.
    definitely. windows graphics performance out of the box is so much worse than out of the box linux performance. on ati/intel/via, and when nouveau becomes standard that will equal linux behaving better on a fresh install.

i have had so many more windows problems with wireless than on linux.

Leave a comment:

• Apopas
    replied
    It just shows you that Ubuntu/Linux still has a long way to go to provide equivalent quality and depth we see in Windows 7/OSX.
    HUH? Since when you don't need to install the same NVidia's binary drivers in windows? At least in Linux we have a free driver with great potential...

Leave a comment:

• howlingmadhowie
    replied
    Well thats useless then, the majority of Linux users use Compiz and a I would say that all people with NVIDIA hardware would be using Compiz also because of the smooth Compiz experience in NVIDIA's binary driver.

correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought that windows only has extremely poor support of nvidia cards, certainly much poorer than the nouveau driver.

Leave a comment:

• bugmenot
    replied
    Originally posted by Apopas View Post
    You won't be able to run Compiz with this driver, as it is 2D capable only, .....

Leave a comment:

• susikala
    replied
    Originally posted by portets43 View Post
    woo! i get closer and closer every day to switching to fedora.
    Seconded. I must say I'm really starting to appreciate Fedora's work and contributions to Linux.

Leave a comment:

• portets43
    replied
    Originally posted by remm View Post
    And Fedora 13 will have 3D support for all NVidia cards too (both the new DRI driver and the Gallium driver are present).
    woo! i get closer and closer every day to switching to fedora.

Leave a comment:

• Dragoran
    replied
    Originally posted by remm View Post
    And Fedora 13 will have 3D support for all NVidia cards too (both the new DRI driver and the Gallium driver are present).
    http://www.happyassassin.net/2010/02...rt-on-nouveau/

Leave a comment:

• Kelimion
    replied
    God I hope we can still run Compiz smoothly with this driver. I heard you won't be able to install the NVIDIA binary drivers in Lucid .. is that true?
    If that's the case, then the test project they have set up for proprietary drivers would be a waste of time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X