Ubuntu 10.04's Nouveau Stack Gets Ready

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
    You won't be able to run Compiz with this driver, as it is 2D capable only, .....
    Well thats useless then, the majority of Linux users use Compiz and a I would say that all people with NVIDIA hardware would be using Compiz also because of the smooth Compiz experience in NVIDIA's binary driver.

It just shows you that Ubuntu/Linux still has a long way to go to provide equivalent quality and depth we see in Windows 7/OSX.

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
      Well thats useless then, the majority of Linux users use Compiz and a I would say that all people with NVIDIA hardware would be using Compiz also because of the smooth Compiz experience in NVIDIA's binary driver.

It just shows you that Ubuntu/Linux still has a long way to go to provide equivalent quality and depth we see in Windows 7/OSX.
      correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought that windows only has extremely poor support of nvidia cards, certainly much poorer than the nouveau driver.

Comment

HUH? Since when you don't need to install the same NVidia's binary drivers in windows? At least in Linux we have a free driver with great potential...

Comment

just use fedora 13 instead of ubuntu 10.04, nouveau 3d out of the box.

Originally posted by howlingmadhowie View Post
          correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought that windows only has extremely poor support of nvidia cards, certainly much poorer than the nouveau driver.
          definitely. windows graphics performance out of the box is so much worse than out of the box linux performance. on ati/intel/via, and when nouveau becomes standard that will equal linux behaving better on a fresh install.

i have had so many more windows problems with wireless than on linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
            HUH? Since when you don't need to install the same NVidia's binary drivers in windows? At least in Linux we have a free driver with great potential...
            I am talking from the perspective of a normal desktop user not a deluded fanboy like yourself.

Comment

I am talking from the perspective of a normal desktop user not a deluded fanboy like yourself.
              You are saying Linux lags behind windows because the out of the box experience is better in the latter. And I'm asking since when this is true since you have to install the proprietary nvidia drivers in windows while with Linux we have a solution with potential since Nouveau and Gallium comes steadily to fruition.
              Keep in mind on thing. Most of the users in forums like this one know few things more than the average user about computers and can notice who is a real fanboy.

Comment

Working...
              X