Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI X.Org Driver Gains Embedded DisplayPort

Phoronix: ATI X.Org Driver Gains Embedded DisplayPort

AMD's Alex Deucher has just committed initial support for Embedded DisplayPort (eDP) connectors/monitors to the xf86-video-ati DDX display driver. Traditional DisplayPort monitors are already supported by this open-source ATI driver, but now Embedded DisplayPort connectors should begin to work as well...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting comment in the git log...

radeon: fallback to i2c for edid if aux fails

In case of a DP->DVI adapter for example.
    So what kind of beast is this DP-DVI adapter? Something to plug into a graphics card's DP port, or something to plug into a monitor's DP port? Because I actually have a monitor with DP support, and it might be fun to try this out.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
      So what kind of beast is this DP-DVI adapter? Something to plug into a graphics card's DP port, or something to plug into a monitor's DP port? Because I actually have a monitor with DP support, and it might be fun to try this out.
      What are you quoting and what is its relation to eDP?

Comment

Like the title said...

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        What are you quoting and what is its relation to eDP?
        Goto xf86-video-ati git repository.

Type:
        $ git log

Read log.

Comment

Something you plug into the DP port on your video card to connect a DVI monitor.

Comment

radeon: fallback to i2c for edid if aux fails

In case of a DP->DVI adapter for example.
            So what kind of beast is this DP-DVI adapter?
            You read it wrong. He wrote DP -> (= arrow) DVI adapter.

This is what I think he means: if the ATI card cannot find a display port signal at it's display port it won't use it's display port by default. Users will have to edit i2C when they connected something else at the display port in order for it to work. For example, because a user connected a DP-to-DVI cable.

Comment

Sounds great, but is there any particular reason this was posted in the "Open-Source NVIDIA Linux" forum?

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalCowboy View Post
                Sounds great, but is there any particular reason this was posted in the "Open-Source NVIDIA Linux" forum?
                Out of spite, I guess.

Comment

eDP (embedded DisplayPort) is the replacement for LVDS (Low Voltage Differential Signalling) for Laptops.

There is no connector that is user visible, it is embedded inside the unit for driving the DisplayPort panel already attached to the unit.

This is needed for newer laptops to get pixels lit up on the LCD panel.

Comment

Displayport 1.2 was just announced.

Is Alex's code in support of Displayport 1.2 or just 1.1, does anyone know?

Comment

Working...
                    X