No announcement yet.

The Nouveau Pony Is Pulled, Ctx_Voodoo Ignored

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

planning on switching from the legacy nvidia binary to nouveau on a geforce 4 440mx now that nouveau is included in kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      I have no serious issues with Red Hat, if some of this article sounded negative in regards to Red Hat, it was because of information that I was made aware of in regards to this situation.
      Not true.

However, we have learned that ctx_voodoo is not even needed for all graphics cards and that Red Hat was just attempting to ignore this little fact.
      Your personal opinion is clearly represented when you write "little".

And again, you are completely ignoring that most of the kernel developers in the ML did NOT want Red Hat to merge. You may want to read Alan Cox's replies again.

In fact I can't remember a single developer, except Linus, that wanted Red Hat to merge now, but I am sure you can find this ONE post.

So for you next article I think you should put a little graph that shows the number of developers that wanted Red Hat to merge now versus those that wanted Red Hat to wait.

Comment

I will use the nouveau driver for my two desktops both running nvidia cards: Geforce 8800, Geforce 9600.

Comment

AFAIK it is possible to run nv50 without ctxprogs but the card will be restricted to 3/4? FIFOs. 1 for fb, 2nd for Xorg, and whatever is left is for your disposal.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
            AFAIK it is possible to run nv50 without ctxprogs but the card will be restricted to 3/4? FIFOs. 1 for fb, 2nd for Xorg, and whatever is left is for your disposal.
            I dunno. I don't really think something like that is possible.

Comment

Geforce 9800GT

I'm planning on trying it out on a geforce 9800GT.

Comment

This makes me want to dust off my old 6/7xxx cards .

Comment

I'd like to test on:

02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1)

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    that ctx_voodoo is not even needed for all graphics cards and that Red Hat was just attempting to ignore this little fact.
                    We didn't ignore it, we just don't really care about ancient cards you can't buy anymore, the number of users running nv40 and nv50 outweighs all others by a massive amount that I don't consider a nouveau driver that just supported pre-nv40 worth the time of upstreaming from a RH pov.

Also Linus only had an nv50 card so he wouldn't have been giving out.

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                      I plan to use nouveau with my 8500GT and yes Redhat did a lot to improve this opensource driver, unlike other companies.
                      From what I read yes they put a lot of work into it to get it into a usable state. So why flame them?

Comment

Working...
                      X