Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Will Happen To xf86-video-nv In 2010?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Dave is pulling the company bullshit line that is quoted on the basis that the USA is the center of the universe and the DMCA covers it all despite the fact that it isn't the center of the universe and it only applies in a anal retentive country (politics wise) that couldn't see the sunshine if they dig 6 feet to get their heads out of their ass.

They are almost as bad as Toronto residents in that respect.
    Geez, I'm glad I don't live in Toronto.

Leave a comment:

• King InuYasha
    replied
    Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Did nobody learn anything from Microsoft's success? People tend to use at home that which they use at work. Oh well...
    People almost never actually USE servers, so WHAT GOOD is it?

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by sundown View Post
    So people watch ripped shit... who cares? It's everyday life.
    Dave is pulling the company bullshit line that is quoted on the basis that the USA is the center of the universe and the DMCA covers it all despite the fact that it isn't the center of the universe and it only applies in a anal retentive country (politics wise) that couldn't see the sunshine if they dig 6 feet to get their heads out of their ass.

They are almost as bad as Toronto residents in that respect.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by airlied View Post
    If you don't understand sarcasm dude I can't help you.

You honestly think my goal with that mail is to get source from nvidia?

Dave.
    If you can't be a professional in your field I can't help you either. A real professional would not have even said something so juvenile knowing the person they were speaking too couldn't change policy. You asked for proof, I provided it in spades. Grow up Dave, show some maturity and professionalism and maybe you will get some credibility associated with your name again but it will take a long time given your past antics.

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    Originally posted by King InuYasha View Post
    So what if Linux can scale to innumerable CPUs? Linux seems to suck at handling audio right now, and there is horrible OpenGL performance. And that guy doesn't work on the kernel anymore.

We're only now addressing these issues. Developers shooting down the validity of VDPAU/VA-API, you suck right now.
    Did nobody learn anything from Microsoft's success? People tend to use at home that which they use at work. Oh well...

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Btw. using tools like video download helper you can get lots of flv/mp4 container with h264 with ease...

Leave a comment:

• King InuYasha
    replied
    Originally posted by airlied View Post
    So its just flash acceleration you want, I don't think flash supports vaapi or vdpau yet. Flash accel is done via GL, GL support is something we are working on. Again I'm sure lots of ppl want to believe they are using vdpau to watch legal content, but I'm guessing they are ripping shit left right and center. But again I've got a distro that can't ship anything to decode closed formats, so its just not worth the effort until that problem is resolved in some useful way.

We may start putting time into Theora decoding on GPU hw at some point.

Btw I'm sure if all the ppl who have real use cases for this stuff cared enough, at least one volunteer community developer would have shown up to do it, but I'm guessing they are too busy watching rips of 30 Rock or something to bother.

Dave.
    Or maybe because of attitudes like that they see no point in doing anything. And ripping content itself isn't illegal. It's breaking the DRM in the process that is illegal. It is quite easy to preserve the DRM when ripping it.

Also, perhaps I record TV shows from my TV Tuner, again, VDPAU/VA-API support would still be useful.

The fact you are assuming illegal usage of such features is horrible and quite frankly, hogwash.

Your attitudes regarding this whole thing make it seem like nobody on the developer side sees a legal value to it. I guess this really exemplifies the industrial/corporate focus that most Linux development has. I remember a few years ago there was a guy that focused entirely on making patches that made Linux work better on the desktop.

I don't know what happened to those patches today, but I do know that at the time, they were scoffed at because nearly everybody focused entirely on the server platforms. So what if Linux can scale to innumerable CPUs? Linux seems to suck at handling audio right now, and there is horrible OpenGL performance. And that guy doesn't work on the kernel anymore.

We're only now addressing these issues. Developers shooting down the validity of VDPAU/VA-API, you suck right now.

GRRR *growls and grabs hair*

This IS RIDICULOUS...

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Why would you buy a laptop to have it plugged in all the time. They make desktops / nettops / etc for that which give you more capabilities for a lower price and cost of ownership.
    Core 2 Duo laptops are not meant to be used on your lap

They are more like portale desktops.

I've always said that if I'd buy a laptop with a size larger than a netbook would buy a MacBook and install Linux on it. MacBooks are real laptops.

I mean... what good is a laptop of you can't place it on top of your lap? All laptops out there today have ventilation holes in the bottom. MacBooks are the only laptops out there that have the ventilation holes on the top.

Leave a comment:

• sundown
    replied
    So people watch ripped shit... who cares? It's everyday life.

Leave a comment:

• airlied
    replied
    Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
    Hi Dave

I'm sorry but I feel compelled to disagree. With the advent of youtube, the likes of hulu and netflix in the US and iPlayer and 4OD (and the rest) in the UK more and more people are watching legal video on their computers

Granted this is mostly all via flash but tear free movie playing is very important. Not just to end users but to vendors that want to ship linux based devices as front ends to these services

Regards

Mike
    So its just flash acceleration you want, I don't think flash supports vaapi or vdpau yet. Flash accel is done via GL, GL support is something we are working on. Again I'm sure lots of ppl want to believe they are using vdpau to watch legal content, but I'm guessing they are ripping shit left right and center. But again I've got a distro that can't ship anything to decode closed formats, so its just not worth the effort until that problem is resolved in some useful way.

We may start putting time into Theora decoding on GPU hw at some point.

Btw I'm sure if all the ppl who have real use cases for this stuff cared enough, at least one volunteer community developer would have shown up to do it, but I'm guessing they are too busy watching rips of 30 Rock or something to bother.

Dave.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X