Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Will Happen To xf86-video-nv In 2010?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(actually read the thread this time and is now thoroughly nauseated)

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
    Should we then interpret under a new light bridgman's comments about how GPU offloading of some stages of video playback will possibly be implemented in shaders under Gallium? A Speex-accelerated box is not what was in my mind.
    I could see good uses for HW-accelerated sound via Gallium, actually. A new replacement for OpenAL that does the 3D processing where all the 3D data is seems like a common sense thing to do. I know a GPU isn't ideal for sound effects processing, but it's better than both the alternatives (CPUs or Creative's trash hardware).

Comment

Originally posted by Ant P. View Post

I could see good uses for HW-accelerated sound via Gallium, actually. A new replacement for OpenAL that does the 3D processing where all the 3D data is seems like a common sense thing to do. I know a GPU isn't ideal for sound effects processing, but it's better than both the alternatives (CPUs or Creative's trash hardware).

It's also something all computers have now. I can't think of many computers that come with a dedicated sound processor. But all of them come with a graphics processor.

Comment

There are already some VST plugins that utilize GPGPU (Cuda) http://www.acusticaudio.net/modules....s&file=nebula3

Then there are also projects like this http://koonlab.com/CUDA_RealFIR/CUDA%20Real%20FIR.html

and I wouldn't be surprised if the next Logic Studio from Apple will have some openCL accelerated plugins as well.

Comment

I know a GPU isn't ideal for sound effects processing, but it's better than both the alternatives (CPUs or Creative's trash hardware).
          It's cool that with Gallium3D and OpenCL, people can use the GPU too and therefore the entire computing power of a computer, but...

If we offload everything to the GPU, including non-graphical stuff, then how is this GPU still going to do what it is actually designed for: dedicated graphics.

It would be cool if everything is offloaded, but when id's Rage comes around the corner it would be cool if my GPU would still have some juice left for this game. I mean... with all these multi-core CPU's I think software accelerated sound wouldn't be a problem on the CPU. Even with 100% usage of a single core it wouldn't matter much.

Talking about games... Is crossfire going to be supported in Gallium3D (some day)?

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
            It's cool that with Gallium3D and OpenCL, people can use the GPU too and therefore the entire computing power of a computer, but...

If we offload everything to the GPU, including non-graphical stuff, then how is this GPU still going to do what it is actually designed for: dedicated graphics.

It would be cool if everything is offloaded, but when id's Rage comes around the corner it would be cool if my GPU would still have some juice left for this game. I mean... with all these multi-core CPU's I think software accelerated sound wouldn't be a problem on the CPU. Even with 100% usage of a single core it wouldn't matter much.

Talking about games... Is crossfire going to be supported in Gallium3D (some day)?
            I may be wrong, but I think OpenCL uses your entire computer's processing power, not only the GPU. It will schedule integer operations on the CPU and floating point operations on the GPU. It may also use SSE to do some floating point stuff on the CPU. Basically it uses your computer's resources as effectively as possible. So if you program your whole application as a bunch of OpenCL jobs, you don't have to worry about where you're going to execute it.

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
              I may be wrong, but I think OpenCL uses your entire computer's processing power, not only the GPU.
              It's a C with classes plus compute kernels language. The programmer can specify what it wants to run the kernels on. A programmer may also just tell the OpenCL implementation to choose for itself what's the best place to let the kernels run on.

If you want to know more about OpenCL than watch these screencasts: http://www.macresearch.org/opencl
              You can watch them with VLC if you can't view them. Free software implementation: check. Patent encumbered: check.

Comment

What Will Happen To xf86 video nv In 2010

Hank White wrote:svngpvtry wrote:lil_Jean wrote:Waah waah waah

lol get bent

lil Jean he does have a point. This IS the rants and raves section and nobody is forcing you to read or respond to posts.

But back on topic: I agree, there are a couple decent deals on items but NOTHING like I have seen in years past. At this point my BF shopping is going to be for some 2 dvds most of which I probably already own. I am a bit disappointed that there are not more things that I am salivating over right now. Who knows what can happen with secret items but I its looking like Im not spending the night anywhere.

What exactly are secret items?

Often stores have items that they dont advertise in their BF ad that they will announce the night before on their website or something like that. Basically an unadvertised surprise sale item. Often times they are at a very good price.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  Dave is pulling the company bullshit line that is quoted on the basis that the USA is the center of the universe and the DMCA covers it all despite the fact that it isn't the center of the universe and it only applies in a anal retentive country (politics wise) that couldn't see the sunshine if they dig 6 feet to get their heads out of their ass.

They are almost as bad as Toronto residents in that respect.
                  If you can't understand the difference between the copyrights and patents, maybe you should just keep your mouth shut about the subject. You clearly have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. DMCA??? BTW, Software patents are enforced in the U.S, Canada, the EU, Australia, and the U.K. Pretty big market don't you think...

Comment

Originally posted by King InuYasha View Post
                    Or maybe because of attitudes like that they see no point in doing anything. And ripping content itself isn't illegal. It's breaking the DRM in the process that is illegal. It is quite easy to preserve the DRM when ripping it.

Also, perhaps I record TV shows from my TV Tuner, again, VDPAU/VA-API support would still be useful.

The fact you are assuming illegal usage of such features is horrible and quite frankly, hogwash.
                    Great, another ignorant rant. I'll try to put you straight:

1)Using libdvdcss to decode your dvd file IS breaking DRM. Did you think DVD John paid for content key from the DVD Authoring Authority and used it in his open source code? No, he cracked the shit encryption scheme.

2) By definition it is impossible to "preserve" the encryption and still have unencrypted access to the original stream. If it was, the very basic foundations of encryption would be void. At some stage of the decoding process, the stream will need to be unencrypted

3) Aside from DRM concerns, there is still the issue of patents. Most audio and video codecs are patent encumbered. You cannot legally distribute any h.264, Xvid, Dvix, MPEG2, AAC, or Mp3 decoders/encoders without obtaining a license from the owners of the patents. So even if you had a legally purchased DVD without CSS that you could play without breaking DRM, no "real" distribution (i.e. one backed by a company) could legally distribute the codecs required to play back the DVD.

In light of this, how exactly are companies like Red Hat supposed to justify spending time (money) on implementing better support for video formats they cannot even legally distribute? As Dave said, community developers may have to step up here, or companies like NVIDIA see a direct benefit to their business interests and provide some (albeit very specific) solution.

Comment

Originally posted by yesterday View Post
                      If you can't understand the difference between the copyrights and patents, maybe you should just keep your mouth shut about the subject. You clearly have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. DMCA??? BTW, Software patents are enforced in the U.S, Canada, the EU, Australia, and the U.K. Pretty big market don't you think...
                      Seems you completely missed the comment that it was in response to.

For example at Red Hat we can't ship a DVD player with our OS, so why the hell would we invest money in tearfree movie playing? Most Linux users playing movie are playing dodgy legal rips of content from other sources, its not something we get much paying customer demand for at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X