Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Will Happen To xf86-video-nv In 2010?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They've already told that great many times:

NVIDIA continues adding basic mode-setting support for new GPUs to this driver knowing that it is not widely being used, but that the Nouveau developers will likely look over this code for possible information in supporting new ASICs under their driver (although most of the Nouveau driver is developed through clean-room reverse engineering of the NVIDIA binary driver). This is the approach NVIDIA would use if they wish to not be associated at all with the Nouveau project.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
      end of 2007 amd-buy-ati and have a plan for making a opensource-driver.

i switch from Nvidia to an amd grafic card in 2007!

if free people, if we wana peace, software peace of Freedome, Nvidia must DIE!

Die Nvidia i hope you DIE!!!!
      Dude, you need to grow up and become sober.

Comment

This is what will happen

- NVIDIA just provides no open-source contributions at all for new hardware.
        This is what I think will happen, I mean while other Graphic vendors are starting to have very good open source Drivers.. Nvidia still stays stubborn...

This is the receipt for being stubborn and ignorant:
        AMD dont want those nforce chips on thier Motherboards anymore and I havent seen any nvidia chips on Intel boards for a long time!!
        SLI on nvidia nforce boards only, thats stupid!!...
        Hmmm well cross-fire support is on AMD and Intel chips!!!

Seems to me nvidia is on a one man path, with no more partners..

Just my 2 cents..

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
          I'm not sure which X.org devs have screamed for the blob to be opened I can certainly say I don't know of any, you might want to provide some sort of citation to back your "facts"

I do not see the point of adding autoconfig for drivers we don't ship
          with X.org.

Please ship the driver source with X.org and we can add autoconfigure support.

Dave.
          Nuff said Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
            My impression is you have made a basic "because I value something it means everyone must think its important" mistake in your logic. Xrandr support wasn't provided for a desktop user to set their PC up once and leave it alone, it was developed for laptop users who plug their laptops into projectors a lot and want to show stuff.
            And percentage wise what would you say is the Projector use vs Video playback?

Things happen because ppl want them to happen, if we don't have tearfree video on open source drivers its not because nobody knows how to do it, its because nobody considers it worth doing. For example at Red Hat we can't ship a DVD player with our OS, so why the hell would we invest money in tearfree movie playing? Most Linux users playing movie are playing dodgy legal rips of content from other sources, its not something we get much paying customer demand for at all.
            So your playing the DRM bullshit excuse. Sorry but I like alot of others backup our commercial media, have HD camera's which are commonplace nowdays, stream HD video LEGALLY on even youtube stuff, etc etc. You know things that end users do... You start crowing how there are only illegal uses of HD acceleration you are no better then MS and the MPAA screaming the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              You may want some context to go with your assertion. Since you likely don't know it, I'll provide it.

Aaron Plattner from nV added a patch to Xserver to autodetect and load nvidia, and was attempting to argue in favor of keeping it. Dave's post is a shorter, more droll version of, say, Daniel's excellent post, found further in the thread: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ly/037101.html .

Of course, I'm also guilty of the same terse sarcasm and rhetoric, as evidenced by my own contribution: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ly/037133.html .

Edit: Punctuation fail.
              Last edited by MostAwesomeDude; 12 December 2009, 05:44 AM.

Comment

So your playing the DRM bullshit excuse. Sorry but I like alot of others backup our commercial media, have HD camera's which are commonplace nowdays, stream HD video LEGALLY on even youtube stuff, etc etc. You know things that end users do... You start crowing how there are only illegal uses of HD acceleration you are no better then MS and the MPAA screaming the same thing.
                Which video codec do you use to encode your video? If it's anything but MJPEG or Theora, it's probably patented in a way that makes it impossible to ship in free distros. Which audio codec? Better hope it's Vorbis, or maybe Speex.

This has nothing to do with copyright and everything to do with software patents.

Comment

And percentage wise what would you say is the Projector use vs Video playback?

Uhm most of us end users are able to run those HD video contents just fine. Recently it works just fine with fglrx also

I would choose xrandr over hd video decoding any day.
                  Why would I need hd video decoding, if I weren't able to hotplug my plasma tv to my computer, if I already are able to run HD contents decoded with my cpu?

Comment

I would like to introduce a case study: the forcedeth driver.

I know it is a network driver, but it was originally a reverse engineered network driver for nvidia nforce2 network hardware (using it right now on this pc). Nvidia also had its own closed-source blob, but at one point just stopped maintaining it and started contributing to forcedeth.

A link to a bigger version of the story: http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/0...rcedeth-story/ .
                    Last edited by [Knuckles]; 12 December 2009, 06:37 AM. Reason: Add link

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
                      I would like to introduce a case study: the forcedeth driver.

I know it is a network driver, but it was originally a reverse engineered network driver for nvidia nforce2 network hardware (using it right now on this pc). Nvidia also had its own closed-source blob, but at one point just stopped maintaining it and started contributing to forcedeth.

A link to a bigger version of the story: http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/0...rcedeth-story/ .
                      This won't happen for graphic, network driver are "simple" things, they pretty much all do the same things, their might be a bunch of clever tricks but i am not expecting that anyone have a network hw that provide an advantage over others hw.

Comment

Working...
                      X