Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlackStar
    replied
    And to answer another question, yes I do agree that canonical should put kernel .33 instead of .32 ... but this is really unsure... I do like ubuntu distribution because it's based on debian of course and lot's more. But please... Sometimes they take decisions that kill an entire system [...]
    Since 10.04 is supposed to be a long-term release, moving to .33 & nouveau might be a very bad idea. For all we know, nouveau is pretty unstable at this point and enabling it by default might cause millions of machines to break. I'm not saying this will happen, but if this worst-case scenario came to pass, things would be very bad for Ubuntu. Long-term releases are used by businesses, universities and other institutions which would not tolerate wide-spread breakage.

I think Ubuntu is making the correct decision by playing it safe here. Enterprising users can always upgrade their kernels manually (the process is as simple as enabling a PPA repository).

Leave a comment:

• Moronix
    replied
    I don't think you promote the open ati driver and foss with delusions that clearly look insane from the outside. Thank god for Linus.

Leave a comment:

• atroftDiative
    replied
    Nouveau To Go Into Linux 2 6 33 Kernel

I am aware that the card has linux drivers but have heard a lot of complaints, does any one have a similar set-up.
    Also what version of linux do you think is the best, i need a word app compatible with microsoft word.
    Thanks in advance.

Leave a comment:

• ninkshietle
    replied
    Nouveau To Go Into Linux 2 6 33 Kernel

Thanks for the reply, but I can get to the boot menu.
    It has " BOOT: ",but what do I have to type in to get it to boot from CD. If I type nothing and just press ENTER it boots from the hard drive into Linux.
    John.

Leave a comment:

• Drago
    replied

I like the last one

Leave a comment:

• Hephasteus
    replied
    Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
    ATI get up off your ass and actually give NVidia some incentive to open up. Show them that an open strategy can actually pull it off. ATI, put your money where your freetard's mouth is. Stop developing your closed blob entirely and start actually sending patches to the open driver.

Show my freedom hating ass how it's done... please for the love of god!
    You don't understand. The kernel is going to suck up every GPU on the planet and put it inside. Because the kernel is going to be not only a CPU kernel but a GPU kernel as well and it's going to call either or both or everything anytime it wants to. Linux is not evolving to a mature OS with good graphics support. It's evolving to a new processor usage system. And unfortunately AMD NVIDIA and Intel are too stupid to do this on their own. Intel starts drooling out it's mouth everytime it meets complicated floating point calculations, nvidia wants to make everything just the way IT wants it to be and be a total monopoly and AMD just wants make it through another year without buying a vulcan cannon and opening fire on it's sick twisted competitors.

Leave a comment:

• Hephasteus
    replied
    Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
    If you are talking about the ATI fglrx binary driver then that makes sense. Fglrx never really has worked that well at all, while nVidia's has worked better.

Nvidia should support the nouveau project in my opinion as the code's come a long way and very promising and much of that code can be reworked if documentation is ever supplied from nVida
    It's ok. It'll just make nvidia look like jokes because their stuff will run slow just because they didn't provide the documentation. I don't think it will be a 4550 and S3's 540GT embarrasing 8800GT but it's going to be noticable.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by stikonas View Post
    AMD is actually sending patches. Where do you think work Richard Li and Alex Deucher?
    And Cooper Yuan...

Leave a comment:

• DeepDayze
    replied
    Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
    Nvidia should learn from ATI? Last I checked ATI didn't have a real solution. Nvidia needs to learn to not provide a working solution?

If ATI starts providing a viable open source solution that is feature competitive (Hint: the features have to actually WORK!) I'll start listening to you freetards. Until then all your arguments about "artificially removing support" are null and void. First ATI needs to artificially ADD support for that argument to even come close to working. You can't proclaim victory if you aren't even in the race.

ATI get up off your ass and actually give NVidia some incentive to open up. Show them that an open strategy can actually pull it off. ATI, put your money where your freetard's mouth is. Stop developing your closed blob entirely and start actually sending patches to the open driver.

Show my freedom hating ass how it's done... please for the love of god!
    If you are talking about the ATI fglrx binary driver then that makes sense. Fglrx never really has worked that well at all, while nVidia's has worked better.

Nvidia should support the nouveau project in my opinion as the code's come a long way and very promising and much of that code can be reworked if documentation is ever supplied from nVida

Leave a comment:

• AdamW
    replied
    Right. AMD/ATI are heavily involved in the development of the free stack. Which already works pretty solidly for r500 and lower and surprisingly well for r600. r700+ should be working very soon, as well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X