No announcement yet.

Nouveau To Go Into Linux 2.6.33 Kernel!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau To Go Into Linux 2.6.33 Kernel!

Phoronix: Nouveau To Go Into Linux 2.6.33 Kernel!

Wow, the day has come, open-source fans with NVIDIA hardware that run Linux have quite the present this holiday season. Yesterday there was the first DRM pull request for the Linux 2.6.33 kernel that brought many changes to the ATI/AMD and Intel DRM along with other core DRM improvements (such as to the TTM memory manager)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Where lies the biggest challenge, writing the DRM/KMS or Gallium3d for the nouveau or any other driver/hardware? What is the complexity differences?

Comment

All I can say is, LOL.

Actually after Linus' first rant it would have been just as satisfying to see:

Dear Linus,

You can't always get what you want. Cry more plz.

kkthx.

Comment

Originally posted by Smorg View Post
        All I can say is, LOL.

Actually after Linus' first rant it would have been just as satisfying to see:
        I don't think that that's ever gonna happen, because most (if not all) of Linus' self-proclaimed rants have had good reasons behind them, and even people who didn't agree could respect the rants enough to tell you that

Comment

I wonder what that will mean for the binary blob to have the Nouveau DRM always there: won't there be a conflict between the two kernel drivers ?

Comment

Originally posted by Xavier View Post
            I wonder what that will mean for the binary blob to have the Nouveau DRM always there: won't there be a conflict between the two kernel drivers ?
            You don't run open source drm if you want proprietary driver. This is exactly as with radeon and fglrx, so nothing new.

Comment

Now I think there's no point in backporting Nouveau to the 2.6.32 kernel for Lucid. Plus it carries a lot more new features for ATi/Intel users too, so I hope that the guys at Canonical will change their minds and ship .33 instead.

Comment

Originally posted by HokTar View Post
                Now I think there's no point in backporting Nouveau to the 2.6.32 kernel for Lucid. Plus it carries a lot more new features for ATi/Intel users too, so I hope that the guys at Canonical will change their minds and ship .33 instead.
                You know, that's exactly the same thing I told a friend of mine a couple of minutes ago

Comment

Originally posted by JeanPaul145 View Post
                  You know, that's exactly the same thing I told a friend of mine a couple of minutes ago
                  No wonder, since it is rather obvious.

Comment

Nvidia: Progress without progress?

Despite Nvidia denying the reality about FOSS, their "binary blob only" strategy will make them look at enemies in the FOSS world once AMD plan gets mature and feature complete. They are not collaboring to a project that did born as a phillantrophic project and now evolved to be partially financed by one of the most active companies and even capitalistic pioneers behind the Free Software movement, instead the makers of the hardware financing it as AMD is doing it smartly as a mid plan term goal.

I think binary blobs are coming to an end, it's just a bunch of annoying drivers that are just making development of critical systems in Linux and other FOSS kernels/operating systems a TOTAL NIGHTMARE.

There are projects out there just as a way of solving problems with binary blobs, they are seen as enemies because being totally contrary to the Free/Open Source philosophy and becoming too annoying in the development way too.

I hope companies learn that outsourcing can be a way of self damaging themselves if not owning the knowledge received, this is pure strategy because those chains make them attached to "the evil" instead evolving in a free environment where their hardware can be used. But maybe they prefer their evil lords because they can make old hardware less usable by artificially removing support of them instead giving the tools to the community.

This world of "intellectual property" and excessive consumism must come to an end, Free Software shows it's possible to do more with less and even able to get benefits in both a social and capitalist manner. Collaboring more and competing less aggresively is the way to go, companies just need to make the best products for consumers and facilitate their products being usable on any operating system available.

Nvidia, please evolve and company. Learn from AMD and Intel, your competitors that are also microprocessor makers (and you don't, haha).

Comment

Working...
                    X