X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Knuckles]
    replied
    This comes to mind:

Anyway, what happens when you install the proprietary nvidia driver? Does KMS get disabled when the nvidia module gets loaded?

Leave a comment:

• Yuma
    replied
    Originally posted by NSLW View Post
    Does nouveau supports powersaving, because if it doesn't do it and uses card in such way that it becomes hot then I consider such driver as hazardous for my hardware and I wouldn't be happy to have such support.
    Nouveau uses the card in the way that it was designed, it certainly doesn't overclock anything.

Leave a comment:

• Ant P.
    replied
    Thanks for nothing, nVidia!

Leave a comment:

• NSLW
    replied
    Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
    I don't think the official nv driver has powersaving, either.
    I don't think nv driver makes my card hot doing nothing.

Leave a comment:

• sreyan
    replied
    A good choice by the ubuntu devs.

Usually I'm opposed to the idea of new technologies in an LTS release but given the obfuscated and ill maintained nature of the nv driver nouveau seems like it will be easier to support and get bug fixes.

Leave a comment:

• rohcQaH
    replied
    the article had a link to the feature matrix, which clearly says that power saving is "TODO". Good power saving depends on KMS and is harder to do than you might think. Especially if you don't have hardware docs.

I don't think the official nv driver has powersaving, either.

I also don't think it would affect your hardware's lifetime much if nvidia hadn't screwed a whole generation of their GPUs. A lack of powersaving should produce more heat and a higher electricity bill, but that's it.

Leave a comment:

• NSLW
    replied
    Does nouveau supports powersaving, because if it doesn't do it and uses card in such way that it becomes hot then I consider such driver as hazardous for my hardware and I wouldn't be happy to have such support.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X