Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Exploring Ways To Better Support An Upstream Kernel Driver

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NVIDIA Exploring Ways To Better Support An Upstream Kernel Driver

    Phoronix: NVIDIA Exploring Ways To Better Support An Upstream Kernel Driver

    Here's how an exciting message from a NVIDIA engineer that just hit the mailing list begins: "NVIDIA has been exploring ways to better support the effort for an upstream kernel mode driver for GPUs that are capable of running GSP-RM firmware, since the introduction to Nova."..

    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

  • #2
    Looks like Red Hat's work on nouveau and Nova and wider industry trends has gotten to the point where Nvidia needs to finally participate upstream as a business requirement. That looks like good news to me.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by spicfoo View Post
      Looks like Red Hat's work on nouveau and Nova and wider industry trends has gotten to the point where Nvidia needs to finally participate upstream as a business requirement. That looks like good news to me.
      Now we have confirmation for why they really hired Ben. Couldn't be a better place for him to be then.

      Comment


      • #4
        Well that's hopeful. I haven't used an nVidia card in a very long time, and I don't intend to consider them until they can provide a proper in-kernel driver for Linux. In fact, these days I rarely even encounter nVidia chips anywhere, unlike AMD and Intel.

        Comment


        • #5
          Where are all the herp derp nutters from the previous threads that claimed Ben's hiring was clearly EEE? This was the obvious trajectory.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
            Well that's hopeful. I haven't used an nVidia card in a very long time, and I don't intend to consider them until they can provide a proper in-kernel driver for Linux. In fact, these days I rarely even encounter nVidia chips anywhere, unlike AMD and Intel.
            Unfortunately NVIDIA's dominance in the overall dGPU landscape has continued to expand. They control over 90% of the data center GPU compute market and even on the gaming side are closing in on 90%. We Linux enthusiasts may mostly avoid them like a plague, but the rest of the world sure doesn't.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

              Unfortunately NVIDIA's dominance in the overall dGPU landscape has continued to expand. They control over 90% of the data center GPU compute market and even on the gaming side are closing in on 90%. We Linux enthusiasts may mostly avoid them like a plague, but the rest of the world sure doesn't.
              And this work is mostly targeted towards the HPC/Hyperscaler customers, who want to have just a minimal core driver to partition their GPU resources to their VMs.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

                And this work is mostly targeted towards the HPC/Hyperscaler customers, who want to have just a minimal core driver to partition their GPU resources to their VMs.
                True, but this doesn't mean that work isn't useful for other purposes. A foundation has to be built before you can build a house.

                Comment


                • #9
                  It's about time for NVIDIA to have upstream open source driver like AMD or Intel have. I hope that also includes CUDA. Of course they are not going to make it open source but it would be nice to at least have it working on top of Nova or Nouveau driver in similar way how AMDGPU Pro works on top of amdgpu driver.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jonkoops View Post

                    True, but this doesn't mean that work isn't useful for other purposes. A foundation has to be built before you can build a house.
                    i just hope they wont stop with the bare minimum foundation and discard the parts needed for gamers and the rest.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X