X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by avis View Post
    A small kinda interview with NVIDIA about their future direction:

https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/...rietary/292698
    So based on what Nvidia is saying, I have to upgrade to at least an RTX 3XXX series if I want to use the open kernel modules bundled in their driver?

My GT 1030 still has quite a fair bit of life. That means I have to use the proprietary driver modules or Nouveau?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

So based on what Nvidia is saying, I have to upgrade to at least an RTX 3XXX series if I want to use the open kernel modules bundled in their driver?

My GT 1030 still has quite a fair bit of life. That means I have to use the proprietary driver modules or Nouveau?
      2000 series not 3000 series

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

• NVIDIA normally supports its products for up to 10 years.
        • This GPU of yours is so anemic, you could upgrade to any modern iGPU and get a much better performance and thermals.
        • But yeah, after ten years, you're on your own but you still could either use community patches or an LTS distro like Ubuntu LTS or something based on RHEL or even RHEL itself since it's been offered for free for individuals for quite some time now. NVIDIA cannot afford supporting their products infinitely. And it's not like AMD spends a lot of money supporting such outdated GPUs either.
        Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

Everybody knows but you never demonstrated that directly that you are indeed birdie.
        The amount of vileness coming from you is just staggering:
        • Completely ignoring the news piece
        • Talking about someone personally
        • Insulting them publicly without providing any evidence and it's not like evidence can be used to insult anyone. It can be used to prove your point, but not to belittle someone which you've done excellently. Kudos. Linux fans continue to prove their "worth".
        Luckily sane people with dignity generally avoid Phoronix and Linux related forums such as r/Linux, so I'm not worried about your personal attacks. And it's not like your attacks will be remembered or appreciated in the long run, but e.g. the kernel git log history or LKML will be perused by generations to come and that's where people will find lots of good references about me. You? Who's this anonymous hater? Do you have a github account? No? What about a stackexchange profile? Nothing? I thought so. Look me up. Look how a person you've baselessly and shamelessly accused of "pointless rants" is actually appreciated.
        Last edited by avis; 21 May 2024, 04:41 AM.

Comment

The amount of vileness coming from you is just staggering:
          • Completely ignoring the news piece
          • Talking about someone personally
          • Insulting them publicly without providing any evidence and it's not like evidence can be used to insult anyone. It can be used to prove your point, but not to belittle someone which you've done excellently. Kudos. Linux fans continue to prove their "worth".
          Luckily sane people with dignity generally avoid Phoronix and Linux related forums such as r/Linux, so I'm not worried about your personal attacks. And it's not like your attacks will be remembered or appreciated in the long run, but e.g. the kernel git log history or LKML will be perused by generations to come and that's where people will find lots of good references about me. You? Who's this anonymous hater? Do you have a github account? No? What about a stackexchange profile? Nothing? I thought so. Look me up. Look how a person you've baselessly and shamelessly accused of "pointless rants" is actually appreciated.
          I saw you deleted your initial posts trying to get rid of any evidence of what you said there...
          I don't really know if I'm the most funny guy here

Comment

A small kinda interview with NVIDIA about their future direction:

https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/...rietary/292698
            Is that what you asked? Stumbled upon this yesterday while poking around the 555 line.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

I saw you deleted your initial posts trying to get rid of any evidence of what you said there...
              I don't really know if I'm the most funny guy here
              I've not deleted any "evidence". The only reason I deleted the original message is that I realized I didn't need further personal attacks from the likes of you. Everyone perfectly knows who I am and you may even check my profile to get a further confirmation. Meanwhile you continue your line of 1) personal attacks 2) completely offtopic comments.

I sure hoped people would stop, but oh boy haters here just cannot restrain themselves. And it's not like you've shown a single example of "pointless rant" I've ever uttered. You are a great example of the "wonderful" Linux community I wrote an essay about several years ago. Unfortunately Michael depends on the likes of you, so nothing will ever be done about the odious atmosphere of these forums. This is the last ever time I'm seeing or paying attention to your vile replies. Goodbye.

Originally posted by Rovano View Post

Is that what you asked? Stumbled upon this yesterday while poking around the 555 line.
              Is this a question? I don't understand. What should I say?
              Last edited by avis; 21 May 2024, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Noitatsidem View Post

2000 series not 3000 series
                It also works on 1600 series as those are basically 2000 series without Tensor and RT cores.

Comment

Luckily sane people with dignity generally avoid Phoronix and Linux related forums ...
                  Ah, now I know why you are still here. But please speak only for yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                    Ah, now I know why you are still here. But please speak only for yourself.
                    Reading comprehension is not your forte, unfortunately. I said "generally". I'd love to avoid these forums as well but there are a couple of people here who I enjoy communicating with. None of them are here in this discussion though.

Speaking of "speak for yourself" - I've seen people not just abandon Phoronix forums after dealing with Linux fans, they often abandon Linux altogether. And considering the vast majority of people still steering clear of Linux my statement was true. Go check PC (Windows related) communities on reddit and other websites and compare them to Linux communities. The latter look dead in comparison. BTW, you're probably now person number 10 who's posting offtopic comments and discussing others. You just cannot stop proving me right, LOL. The irony is completely lost on you.

If I were a moderator here, I'd delete a ton of comments under this news piece and hand out at least a week long bans to everyone who is not talking this about NVIDIA Linux support, this new driver, Rust or the Linux kernel in general. Not gonna happen.

Comment

If I were a moderator here, I'd delete a ton of comments under this news piece and hand out at least a week long bans to everyone who is not talking this about NVIDIA Linux support, this new driver, Rust or the Linux kernel in general. Not gonna happen.
                      If any moderation exists here, you would automatically be banned anyway since every forum would consider creating a new identity for ban evasion as a reason to ban your current identity as well. Your attempt at dancing around that is entirely dishonest and yet completely expected.

Comment

Working...
                      X