No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Pushes 62MB Of GSP Binary Firmware Blobs Into Linux-Firmware.Git

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That deserves yet another fuck you Nvidia!
    With such a big firmware, you can even have a OBS-like spyware that records everything and send it to you.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Which is why it's never been a good idea to use the EFI partition for anything more than a boot stub (some Linux distros being the only OSes stupid enough to do so that I'm aware of). The distributions that use it for the entire boot chain are just asking for trouble - and will eventually find it for various reasons: some technical like the lack of any kind of internal data integrity in FAT nor permissions and security features - you can't count on motherboards to support more than the base requirement FS support (meaning no more than FAT), some because they didn't think the decision through in just how big the boot chain may grow in the future. It's not feasible for users to have to try to figure out how to resize or move their EFI partition because a year or two after install the boot chain grew way more than anticipated.
      Yup, I’ve recently installed a ext4 driver in systemd-boot so I can don’t even have to worry about my efi partition filling up, yet I get all the benefits.

Comment

62Mb of binary black box blobs? Thanks NVIDIA... not.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

yes this is really insanity. why do all the people think this is a good idea ?
          Insanity is the monolithic nature of the Linux kernel which has been discussed to death here.

Insanity if your distro installs all the firmware files simultaneously.

Otherwise it's manageable.

Comment

Originally posted by illwieckz View Post

It's encrypted, you can't diff them.
            It's signed, not encrypted.

You can disasm the blob quite easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              That deserves yet another fuck you Nvidia!
              With such a big firmware, you can even have a OBS-like spyware that records everything and send it to you.
              That deserves yet another NVIDIA haters are gonna hate. You're free to enjoy discrete AMD and Intel GPUs and spare us from your insightful comments. No one fucking cares what companies you like or not.

Comment

Originally posted by illwieckz View Post

I remind that we would need all of them if use a live media, like an install media. Until now Linux live medias were able to boot on every hardware without having to download a specific version for this or that GPU… And also we should not forget that those 64Mb will be loaded in memory (when loading the initramfs) before even booting the linux kernel, what a waste!
                There's no specific this or that. These two firmware files support all the 16XX, 20XX, 30XX, 40XX series GPUs. If you use anything older, nouveau will work just fine without blobs (sans relocking).

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

It's signed, not encrypted.

You can disasm the blob quite easily.
                  Ah thanks for the precision, maybe there is way to do some solid archives applying compression over all of them. If some does that it would be better to store them compressed in the initramfs, so unpacking the initramfs would not unpack all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                    I call that bloat!

I wonder if some Russian, Pakistani or Chinese hacker would reverse engineer those binary blobs.
                    Right, because besides these 3 countries hackers elsewhere don't steal data/sell/spy. Because when western countries do it it's called a "world based on rules".

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                      Right, because besides these 3 countries hackers elsewhere don't steal data/sell/spy. Because when western countries do it it's called a "world based on rules".
                      ngl I have no idea what you are getting at here.

Comment

Working...
                      X