NVIDIA Pushes 62MB Of GSP Binary Firmware Blobs Into Linux-Firmware.Git

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barley9432 View Post
    It's 2023, frankly disagree that 62mb of firmware files is a big deal. You could copy it 16 times before it fills even a 1 GB!
    my /boot in 2023 is 500mb. I'm remember installing linux on a 20MB partition (the other 20MB was for MSDOS) so I tend to keep partitions small. I'm probably going to bump this up to 2GB at least, but the recklessness I hear these days makes me think that 4GB is more appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Which is why it's never been a good idea to use the EFI partition for anything more than a boot stub (some Linux distros being the only OSes stupid enough to do so that I'm aware of). The distributions that use it for the entire boot chain are just asking for trouble - and will eventually find it for various reasons: some technical like the lack of any kind of internal data integrity in FAT nor permissions and security features - you can't count on motherboards to support more than the base requirement FS support (meaning no more than FAT), some because they didn't think the decision through in just how big the boot chain may grow in the future. It's not feasible for users to have to try to figure out how to resize or move their EFI partition because a year or two after install the boot chain grew way more than anticipated.
      Any distribution dumb enough to put the entire boot chain into the EFI partition are indeed asking for trouble, as are any distributions dumb enough to allocate 100MB to the EFI partition and a measly 200MB for a dedicated /boot partition.

Good thing I no longer have to deal with this forever.

Comment

I would say 62MB is big, but not a big deal nowadays.

Can't wait for the benchmarks.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post

my /boot in 2023 is 500mb. I'm remember installing linux on a 20MB partition (the other 20MB was for MSDOS) so I tend to keep partitions small. I'm probably going to bump this up to 2GB at least, but the recklessness I hear these days makes me think that 4GB is more appropriate.
          My boot partition is also 500mb, and it's giving me a lot of trouble as it's barely enough for 2 kernels only.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

The EFI partition is normally pretty small, often smaller than 1GB.

Also as posted elsewhere, the 535.01 firmware files do not have binary compatible interfaces with the 535.02, 535.03 etc files, so for each driver series you could easily end up with 10 lots of the firmware files.

Those are the patch series. Then there are the minor release series.

Since last 31 May last year, there have been 65 releases. 65 x 62mb = over 4GB of firmware. Note the Super series of hardware hasnt been released yet, so this will likely get larger very soon.
            There has been some work to attempt to put into the initramdisk just the version(s) of the firmware that the kernel will use ( see https://airlied.blogspot.com/2023/04...ction-for.html ) but last I knew it was all still a work in progress.

Comment

"It's 2023, frankly disagree that 62mb of firmware files is a big deal. You could copy it 16 times before it fills even a 1 GB!"

It's 2023; I frankly disagree that an analogy is necessary to explain how much data 62MB is - other than being sure to capitalize the "b" when you're referring to "bytes," of course.

Comment

Probably could use something like xdelta or vcdiff to reduce he total size if it is just incremental changes.

Comment

glad to see the work being done. can't wait to be able to throw to have my open source trio in my PC, Just need an updated nvidia gpu since I already have amd and intel. I need the true no compromises linux solution

Comment

Originally posted by uyjulian View Post
                    Probably could use something like xdelta or vcdiff to reduce he total size if it is just incremental changes.
                    It's encrypted, you can't diff them.

Edit: some says it's not encrypted but signed, so if only signed, maybe compression can work.
                    Last edited by illwieckz; 09 November 2023, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Barley9432 View Post
                      It's 2023, frankly disagree that 62mb of firmware files is a big deal. You could copy it 16 times before it fills even a 1 GB!
                      I remind that we would need all of them if use a live media, like an install media. Until now Linux live medias were able to boot on every hardware without having to download a specific version for this or that GPU… And also we should not forget that those 64Mb will be loaded in memory (when loading the initramfs) before even booting the linux kernel, what a waste!

Comment

Working...
                      X