Clear All

• Beryesa
    replied
    I wonder if there's any update on this 🤔

Leave a comment:

• Caturba
    replied
    Originally posted by jonwil View Post
    My understanding in regards to Noveau using the official firmware for these cards is that the firmware is built into the binary blob drivers in a way that makes it basically impossible to pull them out in a form Noveau could upload to the cards and have work.
    In this case, the title is incorrect. The driver does have encrypted microcode for various engines on the GPU, but it has nothing to do with VBIOS.

Leave a comment:

• jonwil
    replied
    My understanding in regards to Noveau using the official firmware for these cards is that the firmware is built into the binary blob drivers in a way that makes it basically impossible to pull them out in a form Noveau could upload to the cards and have work.

Leave a comment:

• Caturba
    replied
    NVIDIA's public reasoning was to prevent fraudulent individuals/companies from flashing a vBIOS of a higher-end graphics card onto a lower-end product to sell it at a premium as if it were the higher-end product.
    The degree of "premium" is mostly defined by fuses burnt of the GPU during production, not vBIOS.

Leave a comment:

• piotrj3
    replied
    Originally posted by dreamcat4 View Post
    any chance somebody here can get us back on track. And do a TLDR / summary of what this really means for the regular user with a modern NVIDIA card on linux?

I mean just to be a bit clearer here. Because:

* There seems to be some different comments as to whether this will help / hinder NVIDIA noveau driver development
    * And/or can it help individual users to unlock their NVIDIA cards to do overclocking / undervolting / fan speed control (in linux). Since the "GreenWithEnvy" tool is now defunct / not longer maintained.
    (not exactly sure just saying)

Ad1. Probably doesn't do anything. There is 2 levels of signature lock:
    1st. regarding ID, card number, PCI ID and bunch stuff like that
    2nd. Nvidia signature key - basically if BIOS is not signed by Nvidia it will not flash.

Tools only managed to bypass 1st one. So you can do something like hey you have MSI RTX 3070, and you flash to it BIOS from 3070 FE. Or you flash 3060BIOS onto 4090. Or you flash 4090 BIOS on 3060. It doesn't mean it will work, it simply means you can flash it.

But you cannot take existing BIOS, scramble something on it/mod it because at that point Nvidia's signature will not match and gameover.

Nouveau would need 2nd one - basically to create own "simple" firmware to tell card hey go to this clock or something.

Overclocking/underclocking etc. you can do same way as before probably "GreenWithEnvy" will probably work correctly for long time without much maintance - I created my own OC tool long time ago for Nvidia cards (like 6-7 years ago) and without any changes it was working 1 year ago. GreenWithEnvy probably utilizes same calls to Nvidia's driver API and it should simply continue to work. Not sure if it will work without maintance on new cards (like 5000+) but generally speaking tools like MSI afterburner doesn't break on nvidia driver updates.
    Last edited by piotrj3; 26 August 2023, 10:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dreamcat4
    replied
    any chance somebody here can get us back on track. And do a TLDR / summary of what this really means for the regular user with a modern NVIDIA card on linux?

I mean just to be a bit clearer here. Because:

* There seems to be some different comments as to whether this will help / hinder NVIDIA noveau driver development
    * And/or can it help individual users to unlock their NVIDIA cards to do overclocking / undervolting / fan speed control (in linux). Since the "GreenWithEnvy" tool is now defunct / not longer maintained.

Leave a comment:

• Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

I saw that movie before, where a black man is proudly waving a confederate flag…
    Nobody ever found themselved tied to a post while an overseer used a whip to tear the skin off their back one strip at a time over closed video drivers

Leave a comment:

• TheSpam
    replied
    Heck yes, maybe get some life out of this EVGA 1070 TI, way to go!

Leave a comment:

• MorrisS.
    replied
    The desirable main impact deals with hardware acceleration.

Leave a comment:

• NeoMorpheus
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Not everyone can measure up to you who apparently fixed all the more pressing problems in the world and now only has to deal with Nvidia's drivers.
    Ah, more mental gymnastics to justify your actions.

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    Out of curiosity, AMD's closed source Windows drivers keep you up at night? Or is it ok to be closed on what 95% of the people use, as long as you have an open solution for like 3% of your users?
    Now its Whataboutism time!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X