Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open-Source NVIDIA Vulkan Driver "NVK" Begins Running Game While Using GSP Firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
    I too use nvidia in offload mode, at 1080p (1060 and haswell) it reaches x00 fps without much troubles.

Is there an additional bottelneck here?
    You're doing it using an implementation that isn't a hacked-together proof-of-concept. This is a demo, and you shouldn't expect the same level of refinement as with a proper PRIME GPU offload solution. Doing it manually like this incurs all kinds of synchronization costs.

Comment

Or how about using those brilliant but flawed engineers (by insisting in supporting such an antiFOSS company) used all that energy in making HIP/ROCm better?

I dont understand why force things like this when its clear that this POS company will never provide the FOSS compliant drivers requested by their customers.

Comment

> hopefully in time things will come together for offering a decent and fully open-source experience on NVIDIA GeForce hardware

suuure. not with this approach.

maybe when they reverse engineer that huge blob.

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
          I too use nvidia in offload mode, at 1080p (1060 and haswell) it reaches x00 fps without much troubles.

Is there an additional bottelneck here?
          Probably rendering in 4k

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
            Or how about using those brilliant but flawed engineers (by insisting in supporting such an antiFOSS company) used all that energy in making HIP/ROCm better?

I dont understand why force things like this when its clear that this POS company will never provide the FOSS compliant drivers requested by their customers.
            because other companies have other customers and other requirements on their software. Like this stuff is fun, but we are mostly all getting paid to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
              > hopefully in time things will come together for offering a decent and fully open-source experience on NVIDIA GeForce hardware

suuure. not with this approach.

maybe when they reverse engineer that huge blob.
              Yeah nouveau has never really bee ncapable of that. I mean there was a point in time where a couple generations old GPUs ran OK on nouveau, that is the drivers greatest achievement.

Honestly if we're to have any hope at all of decent open source nvidia drivers, it's the recently (last year) open sourced official nvidia drivers. I'm wondering when we'll see these in kernel. It will effectively obsolete nouveau though except for those older cards that nouveau supports.

Unless nouveau and these drivers were somehow merged perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post

because other companies have other customers and other requirements on their software. Like this stuff is fun, but we are mostly all getting paid to do it.
                Thanks for confirming that nVidia is paying RedHat to work on the open-source driver!

I'm honestly glad this is getting developed, because it means that when the day comes and nVidia drops support for my 1650 & 3060 Ti many years from now, I still will be able to use these GPUs on Linux.

So many thanks for that!

Comment

As nice as that may sound, i’ve long been running amd gpus because there is foss support.
                  Same for intel gpus. There is no telling whether this will materialize as a stable, conformant & performant driver this decade. Just dont buy nvidia hardware if you want to run foss drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    ... and NVIDIA publishing the GSP firmware as part of their open kernel driver effort, hopefully in time things will come together for offering a decent and fully open-source experience on NVIDIA GeForce hardware.
                    "GSP firmware" and "fully open-source" in the same sentence! Michael , that's why you have so many crashes on your computers they don't cope well with such contradictions.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus
                      Sadly, our sentiments dont matter, only money talks, as stated by the FOSS traitor above.
                      Did you just say that you expect David Airlie to give up his job to respect your sentiments? You're setting yourself up for a lot of disappointment when expecting this of anyone.

Comment

Working...
                      X