Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nouveau Kernel Driver Patches Begin Preparing For "NVK" Open-Source Vulkan Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

very exciting stuff

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

Issues caused by user error? I've laughed. In Linux it's the user who is responsible for ... properly using their GPU. Are you a fan of Steve Jobs? Are those poor souls holding Linux wrong? God, it's such cringe it's actually unbelievable.
      The only unbelievably cringe thing here is you not being able to understand what you read. Let me explain it more clearly to you, not every single issue in a git repo is caused by the driver, I've seen people forget to turn vsync off, only plug in a single power connector, undervolt too much, or forget that their laptop is in power saving more and blame the driver for it(on all 3 platforms). People who have no problems don't open issues either so just opening the issues page and just starting to scream `ermahgerd 1000 issues it doesnt work!!!11" like the very intelligent person you are doesn't mean much. I can very easily find hundreds of posts on nvidia forums about people with problems but this isn't enough to conclude that their driver doesn't work at all or is garbage, does it?

NVIDIA drivers do not stop working if a company hasn't released an update. If you are talking about API breaking Linux releases, that doesn't happen too often nowadays either
      Windows users which actually use their PCs and not tinker with them 24x7 also have no issues with kernel updates..
      Yes, out-of-tree drivers have to be updated with newer releases, thanks for repeating my point. When a linux release is going to happen isn't exactly hidden knowledge so please stop trying to convince people that it's not Nvidia's fault they, a billion dollar company, sometimes don't update their drivers in time. Windows users have no issues with updates? Come up with better lies, some of us have and are using Windows too.

Maybe you should look in the mirror and realize it's the way the Linux kernel is being developed is an an issue and NVIDIA is not the only entity in the world which is affected by it. Old drivers are being dropped left and right in Linux because of this wonderful development model.​
      Yeah nvidia is the only major company with this problem but the problem is Linux. You sound like a certain, not so intelligent and possibly slightly mentally ill poster who recently got banned and had a thing for always finding faults in everything but nvidia. I don't have more time to respond to your inane, incoherent ramblings. Go find a better thing to do than come up with excuses for a billion dollar company i.e. doing marketing for free.
      Last edited by osw89; 18 January 2023, 12:15 PM.

Comment

1. You've not checked on the provided bug trackers. User errors you're talking about do not stay open for more than a few days at most. Sorry, I'm not stupid and your assumption was egregiously wrong.
        2. Nothing to comment upon.
        3. A ton of ad homimen, also you're lying that I've ever said or implied that NVIDIA binary drivers are faultless. In fact NVIDIA drivers have a ton of issues which the company doesn't deem important, so they take forever to fix them:

Do you plan to support HDMI-CEC in the future? If yes, is there a planed date? Thanks a lot BGraaf

Request It would be extremely beneficial to be able to monitor the GPU memory junction temperature on Linux through nvidia-smi or the NVML API. Background With the latest RTX 3080/3090 series cards using GDDR6X there are growing concerns relating to the temperature of the memory junction. It has been observed that generally performance is throttled at around 110C. As well as hitting this performance throttling, it would be great if Nvidia could expose this temperature through nvidia-smi/NVML ...

I’m sure I’m one of the first consumers actually running the RTX 3090 on Linux, so I understand that all the issues may not have been caught. And we definitely have one here. Idle power usage is over 100W at all times. That’s insanity. I know this is a power-hungry GPU, that’s all well and good, but not at idle when the GPU core clock is at 240MHz. At least it definitely shouldn’t be. Yet as sure as I’m standing here, I have a constant power draw of 110-115W just on the desktop doing nothing ...

Hi everyone! I have a problem that is driving me crazy these days. I have a Legion 5 (15IMH05) with: GeForce GTX 1650 Ti Nvidia driver 460 Ubuntu 20.04 installed kernel 5.11.0 latest bios updated (EFCN50WW) With F5/F6 buttons I can change the brightness bar, but brightness is not actually changing (also battery is running low very fast). I have a dual boot with Windows and there everything works fine. I’ve tried many soultions found on this forum, on askubuntu.com, unix.stackexchange.com ...

etc. etc. etc.

Since you're unable to argue without resorting to insults, I'm out of this argument and I will ignore your comments from now on.

Comment

True so but for some reasons Linux fans continue to baselessly claim that AMD/Intel GPU Linux drivers are "perfect". Let's start with the indisputable fact that they are nowhere near close to their Windows drivers in terms of stability and features.
          Of course nothing is perfect, but I'd argue that the Mesa AMD drivers are better in many areas. For example, have a look at yuzu's progress reports; they use a lot of different and advanced GPU capabilities, and the Mesa drivers are often recommended for being faster and less broken than the official AMD ones.

And being a game emulator they are not the classic Linux fan boys

Comment

Originally posted by tachi View Post

Of course nothing is perfect, but I'd argue that the Mesa AMD drivers are better in many areas. For example, have a look at yuzu's progress reports; they use a lot of different and advanced GPU capabilities, and the Mesa drivers are often recommended for being faster and less broken than the official AMD ones.

And being a game emulator they are not the classic Linux fan boys
            I wouldn't be surprised if Vulkan apps/games work better with Linux (Mesa) drivers but the bulk of e.g. OpenGL development is still in Windows for their Pro GPUs for professionals and those changes are unlikely to ever be backported to Linux since code bases are completely different.
            Last edited by avis; 18 January 2023, 03:23 PM.

Comment

The irony is to believe that AMD/Intel open source drivers work perfectly. It's so far from the truth it's actually laughable.
              This post gave me cancer. How do you even wipe your butt?

Comment

The irony is to believe that AMD/Intel open source drivers work perfectly. It's so far from the truth it's actually laughable.
                Have you ever done software development? Also, how many issues do you think Nvidia have in their internal issue tracker? And lastly, are you for real?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Hey Birdie, worst take of yours since a while. Breaking News: Software has Bugs, People in Chaos.
                  Wow, I think you are correct in saying that avis is birdie. His subsequent posts here sure sound just like him.

Comment

someone: AMD and Intel opensource drivers are currently better on linux than Nvidia closed source

feathered person: AMD is not perfect, ergo Nvidia is better, gotcha! also it's linux's fault not Nvidia's that Nvidia driver on linux is bad

someone: facepalm

also feathered person probably meant OpenCL not OpenGL a couple posts above...

to feathered person:
                    i'm not gonna claim people who praise AMD drivers are 100% unbiased 100% of the time... but you should get off that high horse if you think you are remotely unbiased in your recurring discourse

less complaining, more pondering and info contribution, please!

also there is a bunch of folks here using debate club tactics that are mostly toxic, you included
                    Last edited by marlock; 18 January 2023, 05:09 PM.

Comment

The irony is to believe that AMD/Intel open source drivers work perfectly.
                      Work better than Nouveau which is what this story is about.

Comment

Working...
                      X