Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nouveau Kernel Driver Patches Begin Preparing For "NVK" Open-Source Vulkan Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by avis View Post

The irony is to believe that AMD/Intel open source drivers work perfectly. It's so far from the truth it's actually laughable.
    "There are issues in the git repo so it doesn't work well" Great logic, now think about how to account for issues that are caused by user error and how many people are using it without problems and you might have an actual argument. Oh and before I forget, one of those drivers don't stop working if a company hasn't released an update in time and you've made the mistake of updating your kernel.

Comment

The irony is to believe that AMD/Intel open source drivers work perfectly. It's so far from the truth it's actually laughable.
      So a popular project has many bug reports. Your point? If number of bug reports is all you're going for to determine something is good or not, then every major piece of software must be a total shitshow right now.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post

oh the irony, somebody tell him.
        Can you tell me as well because I'd also like to stop using nvidia's proprietary driver.

Comment

All I want is to stop seeing stutters everytime anything happens on my screen with the Nvidia blob...

Comment

Originally posted by Barley9432 View Post

Cheapest by MSRP would be the GTX 1630 I believe.
            If I can get a good deal on one, it may be worth it just for the sake of it.

Comment

Hey Birdie, worst take of yours since a while. Breaking News: Software has Bugs, People in Chaos.

Comment

Originally posted by osw89 View Post

"There are issues in the git repo so it doesn't work well" Great logic, now think about how to account for issues that are caused by user error and how many people are using it without problems and you might have an actual argument. Oh and before I forget, one of those drivers don't stop working if a company hasn't released an update in time and you've made the mistake of updating your kernel.
                Issues caused by user error? I've laughed. In Linux it's the user who is responsible for ... properly using their GPU. Are you a fan of Steve Jobs? Are those poor souls holding Linux wrong? God, it's such cringe it's actually unbelievable.

NVIDIA drivers do not stop working if a company hasn't released an update. If you are talking about API breaking Linux releases, that doesn't happen too often nowadays either.
                Windows users which actually use their PCs and not tinker with them 24x7 also have no issues with kernel updates.
                RHEL and Android users have no troubles updating the kernel. RedHat/Google actually care about its users unlike core Linux kernels.

Maybe you should look in the mirror and realize it's the way the Linux kernel is being developed is an an issue and NVIDIA is not the only entity in the world which is affected by it. Old drivers are being dropped left and right in Linux because of this wonderful development model.

Comment

Originally posted by cooperate View Post

So a popular project has many bug reports. Your point? If number of bug reports is all you're going for to determine something is good or not, then every major piece of software must be a total shitshow right now.
                  My point is that people who advocate for AMD/Intel drivers are lying through their teeth when they claim that an Intel/AMD GPU will work better under Linux than an NVIDIA GPU.

This is not always the case. There are cases when NVIDIA drivers still work better. It's not black and white but then who I'm preaching to. The majority of people who use Linux without a strong use case (e.g. you need to develop software for Linux) do it for religious reasons. There's no reasoning with such people. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                    Breaking News: Software has Bugs, People in Chaos.
                    True so but for some reasons Linux fans continue to baselessly claim that AMD/Intel GPU Linux drivers are "perfect". Let's start with the indisputable fact that they are nowhere near close to their Windows drivers in terms of stability and features. AMD/Intel Linux drivers nowadays run certain games faster but it's not because they are better written or optimized, it's because Windows drivers have a ton of code to deal with use cases which do not exist under Linux. They have a ton of code to deal with legacy applications. It doesn't come cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by clapbr View Post
                      All I want is to stop seeing stutters everytime anything happens on my screen with the Nvidia blob...
                      On what distro + DE combo?

Never seen anything like that on either Ubuntu Budgie or Xubuntu, so maybe give either Budgie or XFCE a try?

Comment

Working...
                      X