Open-Source NVIDIA Vulkan Driver "NVK" Begins Running Talos Principle... Slowly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ultimA View Post
    With NVIDIA having open-sourced their own Linux driver and having committed to keep working on it, does nouveau still serve any practical purpose outside of research?
    NVIDIA's kernel driver, although open-sourced, is not upstreamable to the Linux kernel in its current state. and NVIDIA's userspace side is completely proprietary.

Nouveau on the other hand is doing NVIDIA's job but properly, by developing a proper kernel module that integrates with the rest of the display stack and tooling, and also keeping the userspace open source with Mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

useable state meaning basic vulkan acceleration, doesn't need to be great, just not completely terrible.
      so the plan is to at least support Kepler and newer with nvk. Maybe the reclocking support for Kepler and 1st gen Maxwell is good enough there, but we'll see. If it all pans out it might even make sense to focus on upstreaming more of the reclocking work to have a knob for automated reclocks and stuff

Comment

Originally posted by ultimA View Post
        The goal of this seems to be to eventually replace nouveau's compiler. With NVIDIA having open-sourced their own Linux driver and having committed to keep working on it, does nouveau still serve any practical purpose outside of research?
        AFAIK parts of the NVIDIA driver have not been open sourced yet and it's very unlikely that everything will be open.

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

so the plan is to at least support Kepler and newer with nvk. Maybe the reclocking support for Kepler and 1st gen Maxwell is good enough there, but we'll see. If it all pans out it might even make sense to focus on upstreaming more of the reclocking work to have a knob for automated reclocks and stuff
          that's very promising, I know a lot of waydroid users are highly anticipating nvk,

Comment

I just cannot wait to see NVK working with reclocking, and I still want to hope NVIDIA will somehow do the right thing and allow reclocking for Pascal and older, as Pascal is still the most widely used GPU architecture, largely dominating anything else. Maybe after NVIDIA has a chance to see reclocking in action for Turing and Ampire, they will consider completing the transition for the rest of the cards.

Did NVIDIA say anything about any progress on using the same open-source kernel module for proprietary and the open-source 3D driver ?

What I don't understand is if I build and install the NVIDIA open-source kernel module on RTX 2000, install GSP fw, and blacklist nouveau module, what happens ? Will it break the 2D desktop still using xorg-video-nouveau ? Will it break 3D acceleration in nouveau OpenGL ? Shouldn't the NVIDIA kernel module just work and enable reclocking ?

After reading the article on Collabora blog, that encourages readers install and try NVK, I was kind of hoping NVK can show more then the first ever Vulkan 1.0 game. But it is still amazing progress, and I hope developers can grt both NVK and reclocking working soon. And by "working" I mean I hope to get them mainlined, as full performance will likely require a lot of work after that still.

I have read here before that work on reclocking and NVK still bring some contributions to the old pre-GSP architectures as well, so I hope the developers can give more news about Pascal as well.

Comment

How times have changed - I remember 15 years ago I specifically searched for laptops with nvidia GPUs just because of the drivers, and just 2 years later that chip already fell out of their mainline driver and was moved to legacy support (Geforce Go 488).
              these days i get the same driver quality with open-source drivers from intel and amd, so for me nvidia has gone from "best-in-class" to "no-go",

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
                How times have changed - I remember 15 years ago I specifically searched for laptops with nvidia GPUs just because of the drivers, and just 2 years later that chip already fell out of their mainline driver and was moved to legacy support (Geforce Go 488).
                these days i get the same driver quality with open-source drivers from intel and amd, so for me nvidia has gone from "best-in-class" to "no-go",
                It depends on your use-case. The more professional you are, the better NVIDIA becomes since they have the best software support. If you're a consumer, AMD and Intel are the better choices.

FWIW, I have an AMD GPU coming in the mail

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

It depends on your use-case. The more professional you are, the better NVIDIA becomes since they have the best software support. If you're a consumer, AMD and Intel are the better choices.

FWIW, I have an AMD GPU coming in the mail
                  at this point, im convinced the only good solution to have on linux is to have an intel igpu with both amd and nvidia dgpus just so you can swap between them.

Comment

Originally posted by Aron View Post

Wait, we can expect performant nvidia cards running nouveau??!
                    With Vulkan at least, yes. I think the OpenGL side still needs other optimizations on top of reclocking. I am assuming optimizing a Vulkan driver is simpler than optimizing an OpenGL driver since Vulkan is lower level, but this is coming from someone who hasn't worked with either of the two APIs, so take my assumption with a grain of salt until, hopefully, someone more knowledgable in this thread approve or disapprove it.

Comment

The GSP is found with the RTX 2000 series
                      Mistake? The gtx 1650 also has one.

Comment

Working...
                      X