Mesa Adds Initial Support For Open-Source OpenGL On NVIDIA RTX 30 "Ampere"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Adds Initial Support For Open-Source OpenGL On NVIDIA RTX 30 "Ampere"

Phoronix: Mesa Adds Initial Support For Open-Source OpenGL On NVIDIA RTX 30 "Ampere"

While NVIDIA GeForce RTX 40 "Ada Lovelace" GPUs are shipping, the Nouveau Linux driver stack for open-source support on NVIDIA hardware is finally getting ready to provide basic OpenGL support for the existing RTX 30 "Ampere" graphics processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael it's mostly Ben's code though.

Comment

Michael with the flood with nvidia news lately, I think you aren't pressing enough on the fact most of gamers are still using pascal and they deserve open driver, it's even more urgent considering nvidia is going to stop support on official driver of those hardware Soonâ„¢. Hardware preservation!!

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
        Michael with the flood with nvidia news lately, I think you aren't pressing enough on the fact most of gamers are still using pascal and they deserve open driver, it's even more urgent considering nvidia is going to stop support on official driver of those hardware Soonâ„¢. Hardware preservation!!
        This is definitely constructive /s

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
          most of gamers are still using pascal and they deserve open driver
          You're right but you are addressing wrong people here. Nouveau developers can do nothing about it, Nvidia new open source driver and firmware they are going to use is only for cards with GSP. Nvidia cards use GSP starting from Turing architecture so Maxwell and Pascal cards are out of luck here. Just like before nothing can be done without signed GPU firmware from Nvidia so if you want working open source driver for these cards then you should ask Nvidia for that.

Comment

To this day Nouveau can't even get me to KDE desktop on my 3080. Honestly see Nouveau as nothing but a waste of time until they actually start using NVIDIA's kernel driver.

A shame that distros like Fedora insist on using the inferior Nouveau drivers, making people's initial experiences horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Barley9432 View Post
              To this day Nouveau can't even get me to KDE desktop on my 3080. Honestly see Nouveau as nothing but a waste of time until they actually start using NVIDIA's kernel driver.

A shame that distros like Fedora insist on using the inferior Nouveau drivers, making people's initial experiences horrible.
              All that is needed to make Nouveau launch a KDE wayland session is one short environment variable and one subsequent settings change to Plasma.

No I am not sharing that variable. Or that setting. Real Linux users should know how to Google it on their own, since they are supposed to be superior to Windows users.

Comment

Originally posted by Barley9432 View Post
                It is ok for a Linux distribution to distribute only free and open source software. It is a shame that NVIDIA doesn't care and still prevents open-source driver development with signed firmware.

Comment

Why even bother with opengl driver and not make one general opengl on vulkan driver or is that too slow. Anyhow new games should switxh to vulkan so if its a bit slower it shouldnt matter anymore at one point.

Comment

Doesn't the opensource nvidia kernel driver contain GSP? Why not take it from there?

Comment

Working...
                    X