Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Proposing New Linux API For Dynamic Mux Switching With Modern Dual-GPU Laptops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the amount of efforts spent on making hybrid laptops work properly was instead spent on enabling dGPUs to scale down its power usage to the level of iGPUs we would've had a proper solution by now that saves power, complexity on both hardware and software, and space on the CPU that can be used instead for more cache or more cores, or simply just less heat.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

... achieve way less penalty without all the disadvantages of a MUX.
      Disadvantages of a MUX ? Would you care to ellaborate ?

Comment

I realy hope this is not another API that will become proprietary to NVIDIA

Comment

I wonder how AMD will handle it when zen4 all have igpu chips. Will it route desktop apu accelerated output to the dgpu display driver? In which case performance impact doesnt matter much but it could matter on terms of desktop responsiveness. Probably negligible though.

Comment

Originally posted by toughy View Post

Disadvantages of a MUX ? Would you care to ellaborate ?
            I'm sorry but I don't remember. A dev wrote something about it but I can't find it either.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Prime works great, please don't f*ck that up for those of us that don't use nVidia's sh*tty binary driver

Comment

Working...
              X